Sweet potatos and crop rotation

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

Assuming I was to make some kind of wigwam for them to climb up, how much space should I set asside for 1 plant? would 1 meter x 1 meter be enough?
Westi
KG Regular

That would be more than sufficient it you are going to make them climb. Mine were a bit nearer about 2 foot & very hesitant to climb so I gave up on that & let them do their own thing (although I did try to direct them around in a coil). Again they were a bit stubborn to do that as well but I won in the end!

I'm going to leave mine this year but just point them in the direction of the Jerusalem Artichokes which are in the bed behind beside the back fence. My hope is they will climb the artichokes, but won't matter if they don't as won't cause any issues.

Looking forward to comparing results in the autumn.

Westi
Westi
lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya, Just found this thread and I'm very interested. I have tried growing beauregard and carolina ruby the pest 4 years and without much sucess. :( Last year i grew them under balck plastic in a sunny spot, watered well but still I only got spindly tubers. I have tried in pots in the greenhouse and still with the same result. I can grow them but just need to put weight and make the tubers bigger. It's been dissapointing but my interest is again up and running. Indeed I left some of the plants under the plastic as I thought get on with it and I will see if they come again this year. :idea: I have read in several magazines, books, on the web and it seems to me even the experts have conflicting ways of growing them like, growing up supports, done that, in pots, done that, outside under plastic and let them roam, I then heard you should limit the amount of growth to allow more goodness into the tuber. :? Some were of a usable size but fiddly to prepare and around the size of a two pence peice. I would be most interested in how you get on growing them and how you grew them and the results you have had. You never know I might be successful withg your inspiration to drive me and give me more hope. Good luck and happy gardening.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Lez

I think to be successful depends on the length & heat of the Summer, probably even more than the right soil or watering. Fingers crossed for that then!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

In the May KG mag Irene Chinoda grows her sweet potatoes in potato grow sacks successfully. I think I will give it a try there will be a good depth of soil and they will be moveable depending on the weather or how hot the greenhouse is. She says she gives hers a high potash feed.
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting PP!

Haven't read the mag yet! Potato bags make sense - loose soil, easily warmed by the sun, good root run! Hmm! I have one deep bag in the Greenhouse without a clear contender to fill it! You may have tempted me!

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Westi, my plants don't seem to be doing much at all. Have you had any significant growth, or is it a case of waiting?
Westi
KG Regular

Mr Cecil Hi!

Mine were a total disaster! Too cold & damp & they sulked & ultimately died despite protection. I immediately started off another one in the glass with the old toothpicks & that is just sprouting now, so will be another 2 weeks before I can take the slips but they will have to be potted on for a couple of weeks as well so lucky if in by August. I'll pop them in anyway & see, but will have to be some Indian Summer to get a decent crop, but am considering putting them into a big planter in the greenhouse if there is room, as they don't go that deep.

Because it has been so chilly & breezy I'd try to give yours some wind protection & warmth so cloches or some fleece protection until it warms up a bit - oh & fingers crossed! :)

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Well I guess I'm having more luck that you! Mine are in a polytunnel, planted in the border. They don't look unhealthy, it's just don't seem to be growing even though they have been there a month. Do you know how much water they need? I wondered if I might be under/over watering them.
Westi
KG Regular

Water well. I did mine about twice a week but a good drink each time. They really like the heat, but your polytunnel should be warmer than outside. If we can get a bit of continuous sunshine they will take off. The vine is quite discreet & small leaved & small flowers but goes everywhere when it takes off.

I suspect they could be using their energy to get the wee tubers started, once set they then just have to swell, the vine can then get going. And they stay in right until frost threatens so loads of time yet.

Just watched Country File weather - you could get the sunshine by the look of things!

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

This last week, mine have just started growing. Maybe it's the temperature.
Westi
KG Regular

That should be fine then. They stay in until the first frost, which kills the vines. Make sure you cure them when you take them up. Just rotate them in the sun / warmth until dry & the skins looks dull. Bang your away.

If there are any little ones, which there will be just chop these up with the skin on & pop into stews, soups, pies and the like. You should be able to keep the larger ones if cured for quite a time. I'm definitely going to plant some in the greenhouse, seeing I finally have the runners - they either will or won't make it, but worth the experiment.

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Westi, the sweet potato's have just started to flower. Did your back up plan work?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi mr-cecil,

I've got 3 small vines, currently growing in a big pot in the garden, then I'll transfer these into a bigger pot in the greenhouse when I clear the tomatoes which will be soon as only a couple of trusses to ripen. I plan to use bubble wrap to make a wall around them to insulate & fleece also to protect them if really cold. I'm also going to get my electrician mate to set up power in there & will put the grow light on a timer as I think light levels will be more necessary than temperature, but when I have the power supply my think of getting an electric heater as well and grown more things.

I overwinter other things in there so always planned to get the electrics in. I'm not holding my breath but a good experiment. Might try them in there next year for the whole summer.

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

I had not considered growing them as as a perennial. I could do something similar to what you are suggesting (except mine are already indoors). Do you think I should move them in the 2nd year, for rotation purposes, assuming they survive?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic