Manure!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

I have some muck left from last year which is lovely and crumbly, but just about all gone. I now have a lovely great big new pile - but it's quite fresh and has quite a lot of straw in it. Is it OK to put on like this? I need to shift it - a massive job in itself, and was hoping to spread it on my dug beds. Should I spread it, then cover it? Dig it in? or just spread it and leave it??? Or should I leave it cos it's so fresh????
Jazzer

Are you any relation to Mezz Mezzrow?
mazmezroz
KG Regular

No! Will that make any difference to your advice??!!
tony s
KG Regular

Hi Mazmezroz.

If you already know what you are going to plant in your beds and enjoy being out in the cold and wet shifting muck, you can certainly move it now. As long as you dont put it on your carrot and parsnip bed it should be fine.

But if it were me I would leave it where it is and cover it up with a tarpaulin (about £4 for a cheapie from B & Q)It is going to be 4-6 months before you use those beds and it will give it time to rot down plenty, especially if it is left in a heap. Covering it up will trap a bit of heat in and stop the rain washing out too much of the nutrients.

With my muck heap, I will use some when I plant the spuds, some when I make my runner bean patch, some when I work out where all the cucurbits are going and some for the sweetcorn. Moving it in stages as required seems to reduce the task and it is much more enjoyable on a bright spring day than slipping around in the mud right now.

kind regards

tony
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice! I have to move said heap, unfortunately, because my lottie is behind someone else's and the pile has been dumped on their plot. But I think I'll move it and cover it, as suggested.

Today I was at an equestrian centre and was offered as much manure as I want if I can carry it in the car. They use wood chippings; it is dry and not smelly at all. I had never heard of this before. Is it OK to use immediately, please? I am working the polytunnel on the no dig method. It seems fine as the top layer.Thank you so much.
secret guest

Yes you can use it, the only trouble with wood chips, is that they use up nitrogen when they decay, so you may need to increase your use of nitrogenous fertiliser. It really depends on the proportion of horse muck in with the chips.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic