Slow growing

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Karmina
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

I've got a big issue which I do not really understand in my garden, I've been growing cucumbers for few months but they haven't really grown much at all in the past 3 weeks, dont know why... I use organic seeds.

Thanks for help
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Karmina, i'm not sure where you live but, in England at this time of the year, it is just too cold for them.

A warm welcome to the forum ..... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
dan3008
KG Regular

How big are they at the moment? I'm assuming that you are growing them in warm enough conditions (such as a heated greenhouse) for them to actually grow?

To be honest, they sound like they've gone dormant :/ not alot I can advise really :/
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Karmina
KG Regular

I am from london though my family live in New Zealand. I build a small garden two years ago which they took care when I went in London. I heard the news from my husband 2 weeks ago ... usually the cucumbers are about 10-12cm thank to the temperature of the region but this month they 've gone dormant as dan said, I do not really why :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Karmina, i'm afraid it just the short hours of daylight and the low temperatures, it just stops them from growing.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I must apologize, for reading wrongly where your garden is, i read it to be in London..... :oops:
So i'm not sure what the problem is....maybe the plants could do with a feed!!!!!!

dan3008
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I must apologize, for reading wrongly where your garden is, i read it to be in London..... :oops:

oldherbaceous wrote: there's no fool like an old fool

;) I read it as London too, so don't worry

Are the cucumbers getting plenty of sun? If so a good feed might be just what the doctor ordered.

Few other things to watch out for:

-Keep the stems dry, stem rot is lethal in cucumbers

-Check for cucumber beetles, I don't know if new Zealand has a problem with them, but I've had them dessicated a greenhouse full of cuce's before.

-Finally, if you think the plant is diseased but without other symptoms, use a pin or sharp blade to make a hole in, or split a vine. If the only liquid is water and sap, then it's probably OK. If there's a smelly or sticky 'ooze' destroy the plants and wait 3-5 years before putting cucumbers or squash in that plot.

this page may help
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Karmina
KG Regular

It's ok oldherbaceous, I should have mentionned it :?
Thanks for these kind advices dan , I'll call my husband straight away :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic