Polystyrene Fish Boxes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PT
KG Regular

Hi Allan.
Those fish boxes you mentioned are the best thing since sliced bread. I get mine from Waitrose. The hole salmon come in them.
I've grown a variety of things in them. There deep, hold water, and keep the root cool.
Toms do well in them, fill with compost, cut, two holes in lid, plant toms through holes. better than grow bags.

Peter
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Tigger
KG Regular

Sarah Ravens suggests using them in the greenhous/tunnel to grow early veg (such as beetroot, carrots) at the end of the winter. She uses them as you would any other container, but says that the polystyrene acts as an insulator.
Allan
KG Regular

Mine are very busy on radish and carrots at present. I also have some special artichokes doing well in one but they need constant vigilance on water.
'Any other container' would generally cost a lot, be dead heavy and breakable.
Allan
Zena
KG Regular

Hello everyone - I've been away for a few days & seem to have missed this....

what fish boxes? they sound great -where do you get them from again?
Tigger
KG Regular

Ask at any Supermarket or fresh fish retailer. Waitrose seem to be particularly obliging, so deserve a mention.

Otherwise - if you have a pet GP, s/he'll get many vaccine deliveries in a polystyrene box which will make an excellent resource. I assume Vets will have something similar.

Beyond these, electrical company(s) will have significant deliveries of polystyrene which may make suitable containers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic