Tomatoes in the greenhouse

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mikepearce45
KG Regular

I have managed to get my hands on a trailer load of farmyard manure that has been sitting in a field for approx 10 years(according to the farmer)

Bearing in mind that it is now fully rotted and some of the goodness will presumably have leached out into the ground over the intervening years, would it be wise to plant my greenhouse tomatoes in the border, filled to a depth of say 10 inches, with 100% of the manure? (I have so much that I can be that generous!)
jane E
KG Regular

I put my onions and garlic in similar last autumn and they've done fine.
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Jane, did you plant your onions and garlic inside or outside of the greenhouse? I ask this because I intend planting spring onions and beetroot in the greenhouse this year(outside beetroot are always infested with small slugs)
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Mike,

all my raised beds are filled with the same stuff as you have including my polytunnel ones. My polytunnel tomatoes are just setting their first trusses of fruit and look a picture of health. As it holds onto water well you are also less likely to get blossom end rot to boot.

When your tommies set fruit start to feed as normal as you quite rightly point out some nutrients have been lost through rain leaching it away.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Thanks Piglet and Jane

Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic