Dividing sage

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dilettante
KG Regular

I have a sage plant which is now rapidly spreading out and seems to have formed three main clumps on longish sections of stem (which formed from where I ran it over with my lawn mower). The stems have rooted, I'm not sure to what extent, but one of the clumps is growing into the lawn and I want to divide the plant and move that clump back into the border so I don't have to wait for my cuttings to fill in the space. Can I just cut the stem off the main plant and move it wholesale, if I don't disturb the roots, or will I have to just cut my losses and plant cuttings in the border and wait for them to reach a decent size?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Dilettante, there is no reason why they shoul transplant ok, if there is a root system.....you have nothing to lose trying.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hello Dilettante and welcome to the board.

When my sage outgrows the area I want to give it I just divide it with a spade, leaving the main plant undisturbed and using the trimmings wherever I want them. Although at present excess gets composted since I don't want any more growing.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dilettante
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Afternoon Dilettante, there is no reason why they shoul transplant ok, if there is a root system.....you have nothing to lose trying.

Very true, I am not going to stress if I lose it, it just would be nice to have a fairly developed new plant.

Pa Snip wrote:Hello Dilettante and welcome to the board.

When my sage outgrows the area I want to give it I just divide it with a spade, leaving the main plant undisturbed and using the trimmings wherever I want them. Although at present excess gets composted since I don't want any more growing.

Thank you :) I'm going to give it a go when it dries out a bit outside. On a related note, I have noticed today my sage has developed a strange smell. Almost acidic and menthol-like. Is that normal for this time of year? I don't think I've noticed it before. The plant looks healthy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry i must start checking what i have wrote, as it should have read, shouldn't, not shoul. :oops: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
dilettante
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Sorry i must start checking what i have wrote, as it should have read, shouldn't, not shoul. :oops: :)

Not to worry II knew what you meant.
dan3008
KG Regular

I've never even heard of sage smelling like menthol... but then again, I've only been growing it 2 years myself, so I've not had much time to stop and smell it...

A quick google doesnt turn up anything though :/
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
dilettante
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:I've never even heard of sage smelling like menthol... but then again, I've only been growing it 2 years myself, so I've not had much time to stop and smell it...

A quick google doesnt turn up anything though :/

Me neither. I mean it's not really menthol smelling but sniffing it a lot gave me that same cool feeling around my eyes etc. I don't know. Can't describe it. The menthol was the feeling, the smell was horrible, like lemony acidic unpleasantness. I don't know. It was maybe a bit tacky to touch as well actually come to think about it
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I dont use much sage as it's such a strong smell, but it is very good for sore throats if you steep a few leaves in boiling water and then gargle with it.

You shouldn't have any trouble dividing it and hard and soft wood cuttings usually take easily. I've put a few on a steep sunny banking as ground cover as the flowers are lovely blue and it is evergreen (usually).
dilettante
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I dont use much sage as it's such a strong smell, but it is very good for sore throats if you steep a few leaves in boiling water and then gargle with it.

You shouldn't have any trouble dividing it and hard and soft wood cuttings usually take easily. I've put a few on a steep sunny banking as ground cover as the flowers are lovely blue and it is evergreen (usually).

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go, and try layering a long stem as well. I think I've never realised how strong and strange the smell is. I used to really like it but not so much now. Still, it tastes good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic