Miniature rose house plant

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've been given a very pretty miniature rose house plant and wonder whether these are specifically bred for indoor enjoyment only. I'd like to plant it in the garden when it's finished flowering and wonder if it needs any special treatment to survivie.
retropants
KG Regular

I think, from memory, that they get all dry and the leaves drop if you leave them indoors, I think they prefer outside once they have done their intended massive display of flowers.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I was given 2 & just like retro said they eventually dried up indoors. When I tipped them out to compost them the roots looked fine & the main stem was healthy looking, so I cut them right back and planted them with fingers crossed.

That was 2 years ago and they have survived & flower their little socks off. They are much bigger than I expected, probably about 1 - 2 foot high & wide & covered with loads of roses which are smallish but bigger than they were in the mini pots. The colour is different though, they were peachey when I got them but now are more pink.

I have planted them between larger roses and they fill the gaps where the other roses throw up their long stems.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks, that's really helpful. I was hoping I could give them a longer life . As soon as the flowers fade I'll plant them outdoors where they really belong and see what happens next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic