Chrysanthemums.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I've grown some lovely white bloom chrysanths this year, but now have a real problem with them.

The problem is, very shortly after they have been cut and stood in water,
many of the smaller buds, leaves and even some of the nearly, fully opened flowers are starting to wilt. Now i could understand many types of flowers doing this, but certainly not chrsanths, as they are pretty fool-proof.

So has anyone any ideas of what is going on, or better still, how to stop it.

I would be very grateful if someone can help.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Usually they take water quite easily but there is some fussy advice on the Internet you could try:

Step 2:

As soon as you cut or receive your chrysanthemums, you must get them into warm water. If you are picking them yourself and you don’t want to rush, take a bucket of water out with you.

Step 3:

Prepare your vase while your flowers soak up the clean warm water. Take your time and make sure the vase is clean and contains just a few inches of warm water. Add some flower preserve to the vase water and allow it to dissolve completely.

Step 4:

Using a very sharp pair of scissors, sheers or knife, cut a couple of inches off the bottom of the stems. There are a few things you need to remember when doing this. Firstly, cutting the stems under water will help prevent air from entering the stems. If air does enter the stem, it will form bubbles that will slow down water and nutrient absorption. Ultimately, this will shorten the life of your cut flowers. Secondly, remember to cut at an angle to increase the absorption surface and so that the stems do not lay flat on the bottom of the vase. If stems fall straight to the bottom and flat against the base, this will also obstruct absorption. Thirdly, always use a sharp instrument to cut with or you may end up crushing or damaging the stem. Some people insist on splitting the stems of chrysanthemums with the theory that it helps them last longer. You are welcome to give this a try but, again, do so with extreme care.

Mine have done well this year that I grew with the net support - must post a photo!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for the quick reply, Geoff, i will try the warm water trick and see what happens.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

My spray chrysanths are a disappointment this year to OH. I've never had any problems with them but was going to ask if it is possible to have blight on them. The leaves have gone exactly as the tomatoes have and now all brown and crumbly; Flowers are not opening either. I'm in the process of cutting back and wondering if I should dig the whole plant out instead and state again next year. Usually I take cuttings which root easily but I don't think there will be any to take.

Best of luck with the warm water.

Regards
Beryl.
Geoff
KG Regular

Photo as promised.
Attachments
IMG_3477_RR.jpg
IMG_3477_RR.jpg (381.08 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I like the picture Geoff, nice one

Sorry I cant help with OH's problem though

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic