White tomatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

I was wondering if anyone else can explain why the outdoor green tomatoes I brought into the green house to ripen off have turned whiteish in colour, variety Moneymaker. They feel soft and thin skinned as if ripe but the colour is unappetising. I am wondering if it is to do with the weather fluctuations this year or if this is a particular condition I can guard against in the future. Other outdoor vines are fine if slow to turn red so I am using them up in chutney and stir fries.
Has anyone else had this problem.

Look forward to hearing an explanation.
Hilary
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry Hilary, have been bringing green tomatoes.indoors to ripen for more years than I care to remember and have never come across this condition before. If your other varieties are Ok I wonder if it could possibly be due to old seed but old tomato seeds regularly still produce reliable plants but am at a loss here. Has the flavour gone at all peculiar? A rotten tomato has a particularly vile taste which is a definite signal not to eat it.
hilary
KG Regular

To be honest not really appealing enough to eat. Other plants from same seed OK. So I am wondering if this plant was in a draught or maybe I just treated it differently?
H
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Hilary, the only time i have known tomatoes to go white is, when they have been frosted......but this can't be the answer for you.

A mystery. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic