Brussel tops

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Is there a right time to remove Brussel tops to eat? Mine are looking so good now, no white fly either I am very tempted or is it too early.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

My instinct would be to cut and eat them while they're at their best. In my view they're a greatly under estimated green leaf vegetable and almost nicer than the actual sprouts themselves Especially delicious lightly steamed with a knob of butter and a sprinkling of black pepper . Eat and be damned I say, whatever any designated eating season may be !
Westi
KG Regular

I agree with Primrose - eat them & enjoy. The sprouts still continue to grow if you take it later when the weather isn't so good, so I would think they'd be fine with the little stronger sunshine currently. (Well that bit between the frisky showers)!

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you both, I wasn't sure if they would need the cold or some frost first. I'm glad I got some strong stakes in at the week-end before this strong wind; when next I go I shall cut the tops and enjoy.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I would grow Brussels just for the tops, Inhave yet to grow Brussels though. Brussels tops are from a bygone age though I bet some farmers markets have them

I must make the effort to find some.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, Richard they are about not usually as early as this. We have a farmers/small holding type local shop that has them.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

We cat even buy kale that hasn't been chopped up and put into a plastic bag complete with the woody stalks.

Kale, what a fantastic plant. I cut all the big leaves off every stalk mostly leaving bare stalks and a few weeks later those bare stalks produced lovely fresh kale leaves even better than the first flush.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:We cat even buy kale that hasn't been chopped up and put into a plastic bag complete with the woody stalks.

Kale, what a fantastic plant. I cut all the big leaves off every stalk mostly leaving bare stalks and a few weeks later those bare stalks produced lovely fresh kale leaves even better than the first flush.

I wonder if that works for spinach and (Ri)chard?
Thanks for the information.
Beryl
KG Regular

I have enjoyed my first tops today - delicious roughly chopped and stir fried.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic