Storing seeds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Just spent lunch time getting some radish seeds (Sparkler 3) from their cases. What is a good way of preserving them / making sure there are no crawlies in with them?

Looking at saving (and swapping) seeds from most of what I grow this year, so any other seed storing advice will be VERY welcome :)
alan refail
KG Regular

Have a look at this from my friends Ben and Kate at Real Seeds.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

You can read it on-line or download and print it out.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Thank you VERY much! This is really interesting :)

Also just realised that my chillis and peppers stand a good chance of cross-pollinating! Although this is a great way for getting "pure" seed : http://www.realseeds.co.uk/pepperseedsaving.html

From reading it, the Toms should be safe :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

A few years ago I went on a seed saving course run by Ben and Kate at Real Seeds and learned a huge amount of very useful information on seed saving.
They give lots of excellent information on keeping the varieties pure, extracting the seed and storing it. They've moved down the hill from where they ran the course, but I would recommend a visit if they still do them.

I find that it keeps best if you make sure it is very dry and keep it in a cool dark place - I store mine in Lock and Lock plastic tubs in the cellar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic