Courgettes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Hmm! CAT! =^.^=

It would appear my cucumber is a QLD Blue as well! I thought it was a bit lively but today it had popped out of the tomato bed & rambled through the asparagus & has a wee pumpkin on it! Luckily the other one in the bed is looking more like it should.

Well looks like my friend has a cucumber! Well her garden is quite tiny so better than a pumpkin! :D

Westi
Westi
Elaine
KG Regular

Me too Dear OH. I will see what happens now. I've told the sulky courgette plants that they have a fortnight to buck their ideas up, or they will be dug up and consigned to the compost. They didn't answer so, we'll see what they do......
Happy with my lot
Elaine
KG Regular

Update!
I think the feed with liquid Growmore...and the pep talk/threats, have done the trick with my courgette plants. All but one of the four plants are now growing away and producing fruits.
The other one sulked it's way into the compost bin.....
Happy with my lot
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I originally sowed 5 seeds (Suttons Tricolour, round varieties) in the greenhouse, 4 germinated and were eventually planted out.
First crop was harvested 29th June.

Over the last month there has been 56 courgettes harvested at a weight of 36lbs off of the 4 plants and they are still going strong

Pictures taken 1st July 2015
DSCN136504.jpg
DSCN136504.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

DSCN136605.jpg
DSCN136605.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

DSCN136706.jpg
DSCN136706.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Bren
KG Regular

Am I the only person who don't want to grow courgettes, I grow winter squashes every year and gets a very good crop which we like, I save my own seeds every year as I did this year, but what have I got yes courgettes, Bob a few plots from me have 4 bee hives and he said that the bees may have cross pollinated my squashes.

I have picked 9 courgettes and have dug out the plants, I think it was Monica who said that she chopped hers and freeze them and use in soups I'll try that.
ken
KG Regular

Interesting about cross-pollinating...On the advice of someone on the forum, we've grown Trieste White, a short, stubby Cousa-type courgette for the last two years. They've been good. This year, though, one of the plants has turned out to have short, stubby cougettes - and with green stripes. I don't imagine it would grow true from saved seed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic