Autumn Raspberry early cropping.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

A while ago I mentioned that if you leave one stem of Autumn Bliss per plant when pruning in the spring you get a good crop from these single stems at end of June beginning of July. When picked out these stems are simple pruned and the Autumn crop comes on the new canes growing.
I have had my third picking this week today and there are many many left to pick.
I admit that I do have two rows of 30 plants so you would expect more than a few but they really are superb and I shall have plenty to give to my family.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I like that idea. I have failed several times with Summer Raspberries with root rot and have stuck to growing Strawberries instead hoping that the research in Scotland will come up with a resistant new variety. My Autumn Bliss however do well so am I just lucky or are they more resistant? A second row of Autumn ones with some canes left for a Summer crop might be the answer.
Primrose
KG Regular

I also have a few very nice raspberries cropping on my Autumn Bliss raspberries despite having cut them all down at the end of last season. I think that's ,just luck though due to the weather. I might try Johnboy's technique next year althiugh I don,t really have enough canes to make this a viable proposition for dessert servings. I!m ashamed to admit most of the ripe ones haven,t made it as far as the kitchen door!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff and Primrose,
I also have Joan J autumn raspberries which are primo canes and have experimented with them by leaving just one stem from each plant but they do not react as well as Autumn Bliss and the fruits are considerably smaller on the experiment than the autumn crop so they to give a lesser crop but the flavour is apparent and still worthwhile.
It appears that by leaving one stem does not affect in any way the performance in the later crop.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have been doing this to some Autumn Bliss canes, for about six year now and i have to say, this seems to be an exceptionally good year for the first cropping.

I must admit, i did start experimenting with a customers canes first.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic