Free plants (from wormaries)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stonecoloured
KG Regular

We bung all the kitchen scraps into the wormary. Last year I used some of the resulting compost and got a little forest of tomato seedlings - however it was late in the year and they all died.

I kept compost in a dark bag (rubble bag) until this spring. Put a thin layer, approx 1 inch thick, into seedtrays and covered with clingfilm. A few weeks on and tomato and what look like peper/chilli seedlings are coming up.

Last year, I also got a "mystery" plant from home-compost, that turned out to be a Physalis. Gained about a bowl full of fruit from that :)

Just thought I'd share incase anyone else puts fruit/veg into the wormary. It also means that the chances are high of it being fruit/veg you like, as it's from your household :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It is fun growing them on to see what you get isn't it. I've potted up a peach that had germinated in the compost heap and it has three peaches on it this year - only its second year. It will be interesting to see whether they are white fleshed like my other peach tree, or yellow like the ones I bought from the shop.

I don't know if you are like me - feel like a murderer if I pull up a nice little plant that has grown where it isn't supposed to.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

WOW! A peach tree is cool :)
Keep us upto date on the peach colour :)
I'm interested in to see what type of tomatoes I've got - counted 12 seedlings so far.

It does feel bad! This is why I'm putting it in the seedling trays, as then it's not too bad :) Got some lavander growing in the wall and I'm loathed to pull it out - but know I'll have to soon (for the health of the wall!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic