Plant ID

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Hi Guys,

I've taken over an allotment and this plant has me stumped... can anyone shed any light on what it is? It's in what I think was the herb section of the previous owner but tbh the whole thing is a little higgedly piggidley.

It's spreading all over the place and I'll be digging most of it out but don't know if I should be keeping any of it? Weed, flower, herb... none of these?
Attachments
No25 071.jpg
No25 071.jpg (146.91 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Myrkk,
Limnanthes douglassii aka poached egg plant. Charming annual, but it will seed it'self about the plot. The good news is that it will attract pollinators to your other plants.
regards Sally Wright.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I let this plant self seed on the edges of my plots, just to encourage the pollinators in. But i do hoe a lot of plants out so it doesn't get out of control, as Sally mentions.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

thank you. It's difficult to get rid of plants that someone else has put effort into (and I'm terrible at killing things) but I know I need to get rid of some stuff. Got a plot inspection coming up in a few weeks and there's so much work to do. Knowing what I can dig out is a help but boy are my glutes hurting today after a day spent digging.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic