Damaged Apple Tree Bark

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have an old cider apple tree (at least 100 years old) that my son has accidentally damaged whist mowing the grass with tractor and flail-topper. He managed to take a chunk out of one side of it about a week ago but I only discovered it today. Some of the bark pieces are left on the ground, should I tape them back on the tree or leave alone to heal? Any advice will be appreciated as I would not like to loose the tree.

Barney
Primrose
KG Regular

Am not a tree expert. Common sense might suggest trying to cover the wound if the bark was freshly removed to prevent fungal infection setting in or to protect from frost damage but some trees may simply heal themselves in time.
I wonder if the RHS have an i formation centre who could provide definitive advice if nobody on here has any experience to offer ?
Perhaps a good idea to remove any grass away from the immediate base of the tree trunk to avoid a similar accident happening again.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have no experience other than with young trees growing on plot but I can't see taping the bark back on having any effect. It wont regrow nor will it give adequate protection

I would just keep an eye on the wound, keep it clean and make sure its not damaged further by wood lice or other insects taking up residence under the bark edges.

If there is any room below the wound on the trunk apply a grease band, but I get impression that wont be the case.

Agree with Primrose about grass removal from base of trees.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

You could paint it with that stuff you can use when pruning, thought I still had some to tell you the name but I can't find it.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Geoff

The snag with using tree sealer, or even bitumen paint, is that the wound is not fresh.
By now it could have water, bacteria or fungal ingress. Sealing it now will merely seal any potential damage in.

May be better to leave it open and let it heal naturally, keeping an eye on it in the process

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to let nature take its way, good or bad. I have some old wax that I could heat and paint over but the latest thinking seems to be to leave alone since a week or so has passed since the damage.

Barney
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Barney,
Many moons ago my best greengage tree was struck by lightning.
In an attempt to repair the damage I carried out a series of saddle grafts which by a miracle all were successful and today some thirty years on you would never know the tree had been damaged as the grafts have become an integral part of the trunk. Sadly a gale earlier on this year took the top out of the tree and this damage I will have to leave to nature as ladders are no longer my forte.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic