lettuce

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Not sure if this is the right forum...
My early lettuce, (Little Gem) sown in various pots and troughs, are now about 3in high and look healthy, but appear to be much darker green than normal. The leaves also seem "coarser". Could this be down to the soil composition - too acid/alkaline? Add Lime?
It's a mixture of old Growbag and compost heap stuff, reinforced with Growmore and BF & B. Advice very welcome, thank you.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Im just having to download some new software to produce a couple of photos for you of my Little Gem.

It's only the third year I have grown Little Gem, first year they didn't look look Little Gem. More like floppy lettuce. Last year they were good and this year looks similar.

Two photos to follow, of of Little Gem in tiny pots and one of Little Gem transplanted direct when they were only potting-on size.

My broadband is very slow so downloads take ages but I will give you a couple of photos, sorry, I don't have enough experience to comment of dark leaves.
Attachments
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg (163.93 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
IMG_0895.jpg
IMG_0895.jpg (148.94 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

John : Probably just been grown a little cooler, how do they compare with Richard's?
Richard : they look good.
JohnN
KG Regular

Here's some of mine. Hope pic isn't too big!
Attachments
lettuce.jpg
lettuce.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Monika
KG Regular

I have always found that lettuce grown too cool is coarser than that which is grown fast and warm. Even our slightly heated greenhouse produces tough lettuce early in spring and they only improve when it gets warmer.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Monika wrote:I have always found that lettuce grown too cool is coarser than that which is grown fast and warm.

Ahh, I didn't know.

My Little Gem were raised under polythene covers and some shoved out into the ground because I had far too many, I don't get to eat all those I have sown. I already have a few winter grown called Arctic King so the 20 plus Little Gem will go to neighbours and keep the slugs busy.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The ones i have under my glass cloches, are just starting to get some nice centers to them, so very pleased.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic