Dwarf apricot

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

I was given a dwarf apricot in a pot a year ago. I've over-wintered it in the conservatory to protect from peach leaf curl. There's been some die-back on the branches which I will trim back, but what has surprised me has been the mass of very healthy looking new side shoots that have appeared. Should I thin these out, or are these where the fruit will form (hopefully) next year? (PS The plant had about a dozen flowers in March but right now it looks as though I might get one fruit, the rest have all dropped. Not very successful with the hand pollinating. Next year I think I'll put the plant outside on sunny days.)
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Ken,

The good news is that apricots don't get peach leaf curl. It is also possible to grow outside in the soil in a favorable spot. You may need to protect blossom from frost with some netting. Certainly at this young stage you should be looking to form a good shape, either a bush or a fan-trained plant. Cropping is best on short spurs on wood which is 2 or 3 years old.

MW
ken
KG Regular

Many thanks, MW - that's really reassuring. I'll have to weigh up now whether to plant it out or keep it in its pot, but right now it's looking good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic