Broad beans

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I am soon to sow my broad beans 'Robin Hood', they are a low growing variety which I have had very good crops from these last 3 years however the second sowing does still attract the black fly even if I pinch out the tops. Has anyone tried growing them under enviromesh before? I ask because I can't decided if they will pollinate successfully. Maybe I should grow a few as an experiment.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

Beryl, I wouldn't risk it because by the time you have found that they have not been pollinated and the unpollinated flowers drop off, it will be too late to grow some more! As far as I know, broad beans are only insect-pollinated, not like dwarf beans which are also wind-pollinated and can therefore be grown under cloches or in poly tunnels.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Monika, I must admit common sense was rather telling me the same thing. It's back to putting up with the black fly I think.

Beryl.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

With some companion planting perhaps ? or would it be too early for marigolds or nasturtiums to flower.

Not a broad Bean grower myself so not sure if timings of above would coincide.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
John
KG Regular

Hello Beryl
My neighbour has had a couple of bee hives for several years now and since he started we've always had an excellent pod set on the broad beans. The bees are at the flowers all day long if the weather is OK. I would even think about doing anything that might restrict visiting insects.
Black fly are a nuisance but I can live with them.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I also grow lots of nasturtiums around the garden and rarely have trouble with black fly on any crops.

Another broad bean question - has anyone tried growing Stereo?

I heard such good reports on its sweetness and tenderness that I bought some seeds, but they are really tiny about a quarter the size of the Crimson flowered ones I usually grow. It isn't surprising that they are tender if they are so small. Also I wondered whether to sow them a bit later if they are so dainty in case they are more susceptible to frost damage.

I might start some off in root trainers to plant out next month and keep a few to sow later.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you all, I do grow lots of flowers, marigolds etc. but on the allotment when it gets very dry that's when the black fly are a nuisance but I have lived with them a long time so a few more years won't hurt.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, i have grown Stereo on several occasions now and they are indeed a very small, sweet, delicate flavoured bean. If picked young, you are meant to be able to cook the whole pod complete, but i have never tried this. I always sowed these at around April time, so they followed on from the hardier varieties, that were sown earlier.

You do have to make sure you pick them while young though, as they go a little tough quite quickly and are easy to miss as the beans are small.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks OH. I might get some interesting hybrids if they cross pollinate with my Crimson flowered ones. I've been saving the seed from these for ages and think they have had a sneaky cross with someone else's white flowered ones as some of them have turned pink. The beans are still small and bright green though. Might be OK with the Stereo in the front garden and the Crimson flowered at the back.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now that sounds just perfect.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I wondered whether to sow them a bit later if they are so dainty in case they are more susceptible to frost damage.

Size of the seed / seedling has no bearing on hardiness. Field beans have smaller seeds than the varieties we grow for eating fresh. They are sown in autumn for overwintering. All broad beans are frost hardy, but not all are robust enough to withstand bad weather (high winds, exposure etc). Broad beans are always the first crop I sow direct into the ground in late winter. Some years they may be a little slow to emerge, but they never fail.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic