T or D on spades?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I notice that in the current KG magazine, the spades discussed all have D handles and it says "Most spades these days come with a D shaped handle rather than a T-bar which makes gripping much easier"." I hate to disagree but I find T handles much easier to use because each hand can grip the handle on either side of the shaft whereas a D handle isn't really wide enough to accommodate both hands comfortably. Any preferences anybody?

Luckily we have two or three much loved old spades with T handles!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Vote goes to D for me, I don't find the T bar type easier at all.

I certainly don't think I would find it easy use two hands on a T, but then I also think if I had to use two hands on either a T or a D I would be trying to dig too big a chunk in one go.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've never tried a T handle always used a D but it's probably just what you get used to. I apparently dig left handed, so I'm told, but then my father taught me how to dig and he's left handed! Just goes to show it's what you're used to.The really long handled spades that are common in some areas seem incredibly unwieldy to me but their users swear by them.

MW
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, i prefer D handles on spades and forks, i just find it makes them more controllable!

I think Clive might be a T handle fan....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

MW

I have been looking for a long handled fork for some while, not seen any at shows nor any garden centres / agricultural outlets we have visited.

Don't wish to buy online as I want to be able to assess the weight and balance before spending the money

Surprises me as we do live in a rural area where I would have thought there would be some demand

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I suppose both D and T handles are equally as good for leaning on when chatting. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

:D OH

I find one of our plastic compost bins is just the right height, and has added bonus of flat spot on which to put the cup of tea

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I've never considered the benefits of a T against a D other than for the practical matter of repairs. Most-all D handle incorporate plastic that goes brittle, the T type is a mortise and tenon and easy to repair or replace if you have a few skills.

Whilst on the matter of spades, I have a T handled potato lifting fork by Bulldog. It's heavy duty forged with nobby-ended tines and an ash handle. I would like £20 for it but it would cost that to post it so it sits there going rusty.

Anyone happening-along in North Pembrokeshire in the near future that might be interested ?

I didn't buy it for spuds, it was the perfect tool for lifting stones out of the ground and shovelling them into a JCB bucket when I was clearing the acre paddock for grasses. The tines are set much closer together than your normal fork and those nobby-ends stop you piercing the potatoes.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Elaine
KG Regular

Our spades and forks are on the allotment D's but my Grandad's spade, which I use at home, is a T and I find that just as comfortable as the others. I love using Grandad's spade...it's comfy and I get pleasure picturing him using it, when I was a little lass.
Happy with my lot
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The very best D handles are of the split-ash type rather than plastic. They split the ash and presumably steam it into shape producing a Y shape, or rather a U shape. Then they place a straight bit between the U.

Makes a D.

They last a long time providing the wood has been treated.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Usually with a rivet through the shaft just before the split for the D to stop it running down the shaft to the business end. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Richard mentioned about plastic handles going brittle.

Only time I have ever experienced a plastic D handle breaking was when I noticed a rat on a neighbours plot as it dived under a piece of carpet.

Stealth was called for and as silently as I could I approached the carpet and watched the movement travelling under it.

Raising my spade to full arms length height vertically above my head I swiftly brought the spade down as hard as I could slap bang on the moving spot only to feel a judder up my arm that caused a muscle strain and the 'D' handle to split.

My immediate thought was "What the hell happened there" so lifting the carpet with trepidation I found I had hit the remains of a tree stump that had been cut to ground level and then covered.

OUCH !!

And I missed the rat.

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Richard mentioned about plastic handles going brittle.

t.

Every D handled tool I had with a plastic handle failed where the rivet goes through the plastic D and wood shaft. I supposed it's down to leaving the tool in the sunshine.

I'm outside in the sun a lot, is that why I'm a slap-head ?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

I put mine down to spraying my gardening hat with fly spray to repel the midges.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:The very best D handles are of the split-ash type rather than plastic. They split the ash and presumably steam it into shape producing a Y shape, or rather a U shape. Then they place a straight bit between the U.

Makes a D.

They last a long time providing the wood has been treated.

I don't imagine any treatment is needed if you don't leave them out in all weathers. A bit of linseed oil helps the dirt to wash off.

I have had a go at making one of these handles from green ash, turned on the pole lathe. I think I didn't slit it down far enough so the bends were too shatp and it cracked when steam bending. I gave up, and made one to accept the original plastic handle, which outlasted the wooden shaft. Perhaps I'll try again some time - I do like the look of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic