greenhouse

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

chris1208
KG Regular

i have just been given a second secondhand greenhouseand would like to join them togeather If it is a good idea.How would you you join them togeather End to End or Side by Side or indeed would you join them.I have the space for all options but not sure wish would by best.They will be unheated at this time due to getting electic to bottom of garden.Thanlk you for your ideas and help chris .
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Chris and welcome to your first post.

I assume you have checked the profile of each are the same so that they will 'marry up'.
You don't mention what size they are which leaves me wondering if the roof profile pitch would be low at the point where you might join them side by side.

I think if I were in your fortunate position I would go end to end, if for no other reason than it makes it easier to change roof glass panes if you ever have to

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

Make up both door ends without glass and on a hard flat surface, then back to back them against a wall to check the match. Overall height can be addressed with a base wall for the lower one. Width and roof pitch are more difficult.

If they dont marry up too well I'd do them door end to door end with a gap in between and construct a lobby in the gap with a single side door. How wide a lobby depends on personal preference and available space

Much easier to flex or reshape wood, plastic, or corrugated tarry-fibre roofing. Also have the options of; roof only, one open side, door and door with porch roof above. :D

By the way, each time you do any works try and bury rainwater downpipe starting at the greenhouse, put some decent plastic rope in it, seal and mark where the ends are so you can extend it towards the house, using joiner bits and firmly tying the rope sections together. Needs to be over half a metre down. Trenching for power is most expensive bit.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Chris, welcome from me too! :D

When we were offered a free greenhouse, we accepted gladly, despite not knowing anything about it. We decided if it was the same size/shape as our existing one, we would add it end to end, leaving the end and door section in the middle of them so we could "close it down" if needed...say to heat one half.

When we went to dismantle it, our freebie was a different shape and size from our existing 10x8 with straight sides. It was 8x6 with sloping sides, so we have two separate greenhouses separated by a path instead!

We preferred the end to end option rather than side by side, purely because it would be handy to be able to close one half if needed and also, as Pa Snip mentioned, easier access for changing glass.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Happy with my lot
chris1208
KG Regular

Thank you for replying I am sorry I should have said that they are both 8x6.I thought being newest to this game that 8x6 would be about the same. I have for sometime (7 years since we moved to this house and 1 of the greenhouse was already here) thought I should strip the greenhouse and replace all the rubber seals and a good pressure wash of the frame work as I know from the neighbours that it was not used for few years before we moved in but it one of these jobs I will do tomorrow so thought be a good idea to kill two birds with one stone :lol: thank you again as all advise is worth it

Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic