Germination Story

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Martin

I sowed some Butternut Squash seeds about three weeks ago in pots, keeping them nice and warm in the airing cupboard. They did not germinate. Last week, I poked over the compost in one of the pots to see if the seeds had rotted. I could not find them, but I left the disturbed pot with the others in the cupboard. A day later, one of the seeds in the disturbed pot had germinated. Wondering if the distubance was significant, I poked over the compost in the other pots. This morning, another seed has germinated. Is it co-incidence or has disturbing the seeds forced them into life?

Martin.
hilary

Hi,
Would like to see what others say on this, I am on my second attempt to get butternut to germinate, first with propagator and then in an unheated greenhouse. Still awaiting those first leaves. I suspect it may still be a bit too cold, we had a touch of frost last night. Will have another attempt mid May with pumpkins. Has Johnboy any thoughts on this one.?
Regards
Hilary
Chantal
KG Regular

I sowed six seeds and have one plant. Another germinated but something ate the top of it. The other four seeds are just sitting there doing nothing. I put another six in this weekend to try and get some more.

I had a similar problem with my Pattison's Orange pattypan squash. I planted six seeds and didn't get one. I rummaged around in the soil a few times and eventually took one out and cut it as it felt a bit soggy. The whole of the inside of the seed was liquid and they were all the same. :(
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

I'm not boasting, but I sowed mine a while back and have 6 plants around 3 inches high. I don't recall any special steps - they just "worked".

I'm not going to plant more than 4, so if anyone's near Bristol and wants to collect, you'd be welcome to have one or two.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks for the offer Colin but I'm way to far off to take you up on it. :(
Chantal

pigletwillie
KG Regular

i have one Chanters
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

I have one too Piglet, but just the one :( if the rest don't come up I'll be on the scrounge at Malvern :D Oh, are you talking butternut or Pattison's Orange? I don't have any of those.
Chantal

Tigs33
KG Regular

I have three butternut squash plants and 3 spaghetti squash plants. Planted 4 of each seed.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Chantal, actualy I was implying that I have 1 spare. I have 6 butternut sprinter and 6 crown Prince and 2 of Peters monsters up. I can reserve you 1 if required.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Allan
KG Regular

I sowed a whole packet of sprinter, also Turks Turban, a green sort, vegetable spaghetti, small sugar and one other, 15 pots of each. Something has got to work. I got amazing crop of Sprinter last year and they kept very well, the biggest was eaten a month ago.
Allan
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Piglet, can I let you know? My second set may all come up in a week and I'll be fine. Also, if someone else's need is greater than mine it would hardly be fair of me to scrounge one from you when I do have one already.

I'll keep you posted on developments :D
Chantal

Allan
KG Regular

The missing one on my list wa Hasta La Pasta. it looks very special in the catalogue. It is an orange variant of spaghetti squash, extra sweet too. Thompson & Morgan.
Allan
taralastair
KG Regular

Hi. I also sowed my butternuts about a fortnight ago and was starting to think that they weren't going to show. I too had a poke around in the soil and now about half have started to come up. Maybe it's just a matter of waiting or maybe the poking about helped. I have also sown winter festival, nice-long and buttercup last weekend. I'll let you know how those get on.

Tara
Rubberman
KG Regular

I planted 6 Butternut seeds, 1 of which came through after a few days. Like others before me, I too grew impatient with the rest and had a bit of a poke around. Three days later, up pop another 4! :lol: Encouraged by this, I tried the same technique with some reluctant pumpkins and it worked again.
Has anyone had a poke around in anything else and been successful or does it only work with gourds? Or am I just kidding myself that it made a difference?
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm going to give my seeds a poke at the weekend if nothing's through. Who knows and what's to lose?
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic