Celery

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Afternoon All!

Can I ask what everyone does with their celery? I have planted mine in a ditch & they're now at the top so about 8 inches or more high. I don't want 2 just throw dirt in among the leaves so I unrolled some kitchen towel inners & put that around them first thinking it would expand to allow growth but then considered the weight of the soil might hamper this. (I tried newspaper last year & the slugs did so enjoy it! :D

I looked around lottie for any pipes like professional growers use but couldn't find any & can't see the bus driver being too happy with me carrying on a long plastic pipe on the bus as the hardware won't cut it for me. So over to you guys for any ideas!

Westi
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Westi,
when I grew celery I used old lemonade bottles (top and bottom removed) with black landscape fabric stapled to them. I tacked these to small stakes and then put them over the celery plants. It blanched them quite nicely although I never did get the hang of eating the lot is less than a month.....

I now grow celeriac to get my celery flavour hit and buy a celery when I need one.
Regards Sally Wright.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Sally - that sounds an economical & practical solution. My celeriac is my main celery flavoured crop - celery is my challenge! I am determined to master it. Last year was OK but stems very narrow & stringey - OK in stews though! Previous years I have only managed to get them about as big as they are now, so feel I am progressing but outcome I want is lovely tender long stems to dip in my humus!

Hope I still like humus when I finally succeed!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I have not grown it for about 30 years, I used brown paper to wrap around the stems, you could use off cuts of plastic downspout if you new a friendly builder
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic