Gherkins again

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Can I revert back to gherkins again as I can,t find the earlier thread. Can somebody please tell me how close together I dare plant them in an outdoor border ? First time I'm growing them -I have 4 plants and I have no idea how fruitful they will be or whether the leaves are the same size as cucumbers and if plants needs the same space. Thanks.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Allotment, but little achieved.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've just planted 3 across a 4' polytunnel bed although when I grow them in the cold greenhouse they are usually 2' apart as I plant them against each frame upright. I find them very variable, when they do well they are quite big branched plants so perhaps safest to go with 2'.
Primrose
KG Regular

Another silly question but have never eaten gherkins in their raw state. - only as a pickled/preserved vegetable. Is their taste/texture similar to mini cucumbers ?
retropants
KG Regular

Yes! You can eat them as cucumbers, as long as they are small, as they get big seeds in when they get bigger. Rub the prickles off though!
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

As I am stuck for space I am going to try and grow them in the greenhouse in big pots and up canes as I would do with cucumbers.
I think I will even put some outside and train them up some canes :D

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I'm growing mini cucumbers (as usual) plus gherkins this year so it will be an interesting comparison to see how they each turn out. We have previously bought punnets of "mini cucumbers" from Costco, which we really like as they're very crisp and crunchy -they call them lunch box cucumbers, and it occurred to me that they might actually be gherkins.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic