Mushrooms

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dirtydigger
KG Regular

Hi all

I am well and truly in the dark with my mushrooms. I have tried all different ways of growing mushrooms and up to now have had no success so please can anyone help me out and tell me the best way to grow them. I am after button ones for my cooked breakfast
Westi
KG Regular

Looking forward to replies dd!

I've not bothered for a few years but spent quite a a few £'s prior trying to grow some. I did get some after I threw the contents of a box thing on the compost after it didn't perform but they didn't look like the picture on the box & knowing nothing about fungi so didn't risk it!

Westi
Westi
dirtydigger
KG Regular

thanks no body seems to know they must be harder to grow than it says on packet
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I've grown them from a pre-prepared kit and they were successful and easy. I bought it mail order, which ensured that the kit was freshly prepared and ready to go, which is important as I'm inclined to think that kits which are seen for sale in gardening centres are likely a little past their prime, and there's no way of telling how fresh they are. I've also attempted to grow them from scratch, fermenting fresh horse manure and seeding it with spawn. Nothing happened, though. Either the manure wasn't fermented properly, or the spawn was not viable, or both. I have since spoken to a successful fungus grower (of many different denominations) and they advised me that fresh spawn is absolutely key. A common pitfall for the uninitiated is knowing the difference between mushroom spore and mushroom spawn. Getting that all-important spawn run, though, remains something of a dark art (pun intended). Once that bit's licked, they just keep on cropping.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't like or grow mushrooms but I always thought you treated them the same as employees of large companies.
Arnie
KG Regular

Morning Geoff

How True :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic