feeding courgettes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vicki
KG Regular

please forgive me for so many thick questions :oops: but could someone advise me whether I should be starting to feed my courgettes now that they have a few leaves? And my tomatoes - or should I be waiting until they flower? I've read differing advice on this so wondered if you guys could help? :? The advice I pick up from everyones experience on this forum seems more helpful than reading a book!

Vicki x
Smiling is infectious....
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Your tomatoes wont need feeding until they set fruit after which you can feed weekly or fortnightly depending upon feed and strength given.

I have never fed courgettes as I plant them into a hole filled with manure and replace the plants around August when the first ones succumb to mildew or run out of steam. If you do feed them, do it as for tomatoes.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

I feed my tomatoes as Piglet says but I have never fed my courgettes and don't have the manure that Piglet does, I just bung them in the ground. I get so many courgettes like that I think I'd have the EU courgette mountain if I fed the things. It all depends on your soil though and mine happens to be good.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
vicki
KG Regular

Thanks, I won't worry too much yet then! Good idea to replace the plants later in the year though Piglet, think I might do that.
Smiling is infectious....
Compo
KG Regular

Everyone is right, your plants will have plenty of food for six to eight weeks from start to finish in good quality compost............feed when it get's hotter and the plants get bigger and start to flower.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic