i want to use a old dog run for veg patch

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bazza1979
KG Regular

Hi all, I moved into my new house a month ago and have a huge garden that the previous tennants just used for there 2 dogs, there was no mess left when i moved in and the grass was all cut, so it is tidy but i wondered about things left in the soil like parasites etc, i am anxious to get growing and can't really afford to replace it with fresh topsoil, looking online it seems to be alright, what does everyone think?
Primrose
KG Regular

Off the top of my head I would suggest that if you want to grow vegetables, you dig over the appointed area and then give it a spray or watering with a very diluted solution of Jeyes Fluid if you're worried about parasites or infections etc in the soil.
The reality is though that probably many of us have vegetable plots that over time have had cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits or rats pooing or peeing on them and I don't think I've ever heard of anybody being severely harmed by the after effects. I suspect that over time rain leaches any residual after effects from the soil but perhaps there are some diseases experts on here who can prove otherwise. After all, we add cow, horse or chicken manure to our plots to improve soil fertility and nutrition, and who knows what that contains if a scientific analysis was done on it :lol:
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Bazza,
I would do the following for a couple of seasons. Grow nothing which is eaten raw at ground level eg lettuce or carrots. Potatoes will be fine as they are always boiled etc before consumption. Ask a local vet about the risks as they will be more informed than we are really.
Regards Sally Wright.
ps I see the gleamings of a KG article here...
robo
KG Regular

if you could have seen the plot I have taken over you would not worry, I have collected glass by the barrow load, asbestos, old shoes, wellies, lots of rusting bits of cars, steel mesh, durex, bits of bone, in fact at one time I was going to contact the time team to see if they would come and do a dig to see what artifacts they could find as I have uncovered part of a very wide ( around 40 c.m.) brick wall
John
KG Regular

I would be very careful. There is an extremely unpleasant worm, toxocara, that can pass from dogs to humans. Infection can lead to blindness in severe cases. I don't know how long the worm eggs remain active in the soil but I would seek some professional advice.
Follow P's advice though in the meantime and disinfect the soil you intend to use.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
hilary
KG Regular

Hi All,
OK we all have fears now about contamination and quite rightly. But those of us with dogs are responsible in the main and worming is a simple way of keeping these parasites under control. My plot is plagued by rabbits and neighbours cats so I adopt a careful attitude with salads. I grow them under cover and wash very carefully not least to get rid of any slugs.
So I would embrace a large garden, plan your plots and have fun!!
Hilary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic