Liquid growmore

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

toffeeman
KG Regular

I have (had) a large tub of B and Q growmore granula fertizer that I bought last year. Unfortunately water got into the tub in the winter and its now a tub of sludge. Should I chuck it or could it be diluted as a liquid feed? If so does anybody have any suggestions as the the ratios I should use?
JohnN
KG Regular

I've sometimes soaked Growmore (and also chicken pellets) in water for several hours or longer to give a liquid fertiliser, which I thought would probably be quicker acting than the solid stuff. I don't know if my thinking is right, but it didn't seem to do any harm. I use about a double handful to a gallon of water. It never completely dissolves so you have left some "sludge", which I use in the bottoms of the irrigation pots in the greenhouse tomato bed.
Experts' views please!
Primrose
KG Regular

I've occasionally done the same as John when emergency measures look as if they're called for, and roughly the same dilution as him. The only proviso I'd use is to be careful not to get any of the liquid on any leaves in case it's too strong and scorches them.
I've also had elderly liquid feeds go sludgy when left in a bottle so long that the dregs have gone fairly solid. I just dilute to what looks like a sensible level and use with caution. Haven't killed any plants using this process yet! Plant foods are expensive to buy so it's a pity to waste them.
toffeeman
KG Regular

thanks for the advice
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I've been doing this for years, until I went organic I used to buy 20-20-20 which was about the weakest granular fertiliser I could buy from the Farmer Co-op.

Because it's so strong I just put a hand-full in a bucket of warm water then move it about until it's in-solution.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
toffeeman
KG Regular

its good to know is still of some use - thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic