Rock Dust

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

LindaJane
KG Regular

I've just read the article on rock dust in latest issue of KG. What are people's thoughts on this and has anyone tried it? I have been rather sceptical about this but the article was getting me all enthusiastic (as I envisaged huge and bountiful crops next year) and then Edward said why didn't I add Vitax Q4 as it would probably be cheaper and contains all necessary minerals and trace elements. I pointed out that we run the veg patch organically......
peter
KG Regular

Try searching the forum. I think its been discussed before. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
solway cropper
KG Regular

I grow a lot of veg. in containers and make most of my own compost and this year I added rock dust to the potting mix as a bit of an experiment. Results were excellent with best ever parsnips/carrots and some superb large onions, despite the awful weather. I also use seaweed in various forms so I can't be sure if any effects were simply down to the rock dust. Claims of bountiful crops should always be treated with a little caution but it certainly won't do any harm to add rock dust. If your soil is light it may well be deficient in micro-nutrients which it could provide. However, I wouldn't see it as a substitute for loads of organic matter, more of a top-up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic