Desert grape for a polytunnel

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pigletwillie
KG Regular

I intend to plant a grape vine in my tunnel over wires approx 8` high to provide shade for other crops and hopefully a few bunches of grapes.

Can anybody reccomend a variety to buy that is "easy", reliable and wont take over the place?
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
arthur e
KG Regular

Hi PW, I bought a grape called Lakemont from Safeway just before they changed to Morrison 3 years ago, it is in a corner of my tunnel and is trained along the roof/crop bars just like you are intending. I am absolutely delighted with the spur of the moment purchase as it gives absolutely delicious green seedless grapes. Last year was it's second year of growth and gave me 3 bunches of fruit, this tear I'm hoping for masses.
Allan
KG Regular

I have had experience of Golden Chasselas since 1946 and have it in 3 polytunnels at present. A more recent black grape is Dornfelder which is doing well. Many others to choose from. Reads nursery seem to have as good a choice as anywhere.
Allan
KG Regular

As for taking over the place, any grape will do that if you let it. It all depends what you want, just prune accordingly in December.Let the main shoot get as long as you want it to be, cut the side spurs back to 2 buds each year. You won't kill it.
Chantal
KG Regular

Piglet! You're taking up my suggestion, I am SO proud. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

Piglet - I've dug out the details of the man who holds the national collection - Mr B R Edwards of Sunnybank Vine Nursery, Rowlestone, Herefordshire. He's the chap featured in KG last autumn and we went to his open day and got lots of goodies. Great bloke, most helpful, but he only opens to the public for one weekend a year.

His website is http://www.vinenursery.netfirms.com

Phone number 01981 240256.

Vines are £8 each (£6 if you buy more than 10, £5 if you buy 25 or more) which is a third of the price of our nearest Garden Centre.
Allan
KG Regular

As I said in the thread polytunnel shading this vine inside won't keep the temperature down or my tunnels would be the coolest around. Two of them have been so dark where the vines grow that nothing else will give a satisfactory crop except rhubarb which crops before the vine gets its covering of leaves. To keep the temperature down get a reflective cover on the OUTSIDE, preferably white or metallic.
I have no interest in the outcome except I would hate to think that you have great expectations but will not get the effect you expect in several years time but the grapes should do well.
Allan
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Thanks all for your suggestions. I want a dappled shade effect with a few bunches of grapes for Mrs P to peel for me whilst I am in yon bath.

Your variety sound good Arthur but I will ask the man from delmonte who runs the national collection whose number Tigger was so good to dig out.
Kindest regards Piglet

Tigger
KG Regular

You won't go far wrong Piglet. He's grown internal grapes with tomatoes/aubergines/cucumbers/etc for a number of years.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I shall leave the smart comment to Peter.
Kindest regards Piglet

Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Tigger, I'm sitting here giggling. I needed a good laugh this morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

Ho ho. I've just re-read it!
peter
KG Regular

pigletwillie wrote:I shall leave the smart comment to Peter.

Stupid more like.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic