plot allocation

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I have just taken on the role to allocate plots to new members.

My question is does your society have a check list to ask potential new members or if somebody applies do they get offered offer of the first avilable plot. Perhaps you have a selection process.

I am sure all associations have different policies and I would like to organise one for ours.

Thanks for your help.

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

"A selection process" ! ! ! That smacks of favouritism don't you think?

Is it, "If your face fits and the committee like you?

First come, first served and if they don't like what is offered. . .

Cheers, :| Tony.
Monika
KG Regular

Tracie, we don't have a selection process but I wish we had! There are only about 16 plots in our parish, eight of them on our site and the Parish Council gives them out on a "first come, first serve" basis. Unfortunately, lately, some of the newcomers have been totally unsuitable and have never really bothered to cultivate the plot, so for a year or two, until they give up again, everything is overgrown with weeds, so I wish the Parish Council could be selective in their choice of applicants.
On the other hand, I can see KW's point of view of simply running down the list ...
tracie
KG Regular

We have a waiting list of about 9 and I must admit I find it a bit frustrating when a new person arrives, then does the very bare minimum to keep the plot and finally dissapears some years or months later leaving the plot in a worse state than when the took over.

Another person could have had the plot and had a years worth of pleasure!!.

Regards

Tracie
Geoff
KG Regular

I have no experience of allotments but I often read comments like the above and it seems to me you need rules like - first timer, half plot only - first year is a probation year, use it or lose it.
peter
KG Regular

Overall town waiting list circa fifty, overall ten rod plots somewhere around three hundred +.

Waiting list for the twenty-six by ten rod plot site that I'm agent for twenty-five. It's plots are 10 x 30 yard ratio and south to north it is 30 yards, cart track, 10 yards, so long and thin. Bordered on south side by a public footpath and the north side by a public green-strip park which are both routes into town from newer edge of town developments, so very visible.

Maximum permitted let five rod.

Most frequent sizes let recently two & a half rod plots.

First come first served and many turn it down on being phoned, never mind seeing it.

All the "fall by the wayside in the face of the reality of hard work being needed" type comments others have made. :roll:

But oh, the pleasure of seeing the few who make a go of it enjoy themselves, countered by the fact that on 2.5 and wanting 5 they're back at the bottom of the list
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Catherine
KG Regular

We have problems with people who take the allotments on and then only come occasionally. There are three near us. One is owned by a chap who comes three times a year hacks and slashes everything, nothing grows but he does have beautiful daffs. The second is owned by a chap who had the whole plot cleared by the Parish Council so someone would take it on. We also went across and cut all the low branches from the trees with our chain saw. To help him, we loaned him our long handled loppers, only to find them chucked on the ground in the mud and he was no where to be seen. Then over the last two years he has brought more and more skip rubbish and now it is worse than it ever was before he took it on. It is terrible. The people who are right next to him constantly worry about the rubbish overflowing on to their plot and whoever takes this plot on will have a huge job clearing all the rubbish, wood with nails, bricks a half built shed type thing from rubbish, plastic, etc.

The last is owned by a woman who does not live locally but has bees on it and has decided to leave it to go really "natural" Everything is over grown she grown next to nothing, she allows the bushes and thorn to grow over the path and you hardly ever see her.

I wish that there was more control over the plots.
glallotments
KG Regular

Our council allocates the plots maybe on a who nags most basis who knows?

I think a probation period is a good idea as if someone doesn't make any effort once they are allocated a plot they are not really so keen. I would set the probation to a few months during which time a new plot holder should show some commitment - you could decide and explain the criteria you will use in order to 'pass' the probation period.
Binky
KG Regular

We self-manage our allotments on behalf of the local council (300+ plots on several sites). We have a waiting list and when someone reaches the top of the list, they get a plot. Everyone deserves a chance. If we only selected “good, experienced gardeners” or those who were recommended by committee members, where would the next generation of gardeners come from?
However, we have full, half and even quarter plots. If a full-plot becomes available it is first offered to someone with a smaller plot. Invariably this frees up a smaller plot.
We also have a three month probationary period written in to the tenancy agreement.
Finally, each site has a core of “old boys” who are there most days and who give advice and support to “newbies”.
It is in no-one’s interest to give a plot to someone who will struggle but, with support, almost all of our newcomers successfully complete their probationary period and enjoy their gardening. For those who appear to lose interest later, we have a series of letters, sent over a three month period. Initially we offer encouragement but in the end, if necessary, send a letter terminating the tenancy
tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

all newbies are offered a half plot with a years probation, we have 3 letters too.

I think where we are falling down a bit is our probation period is too long, I think that maybe we need to look at making it 6 months, even in the winter when the weather is not too good there is always somethin you can do on a plot even if it is only hacking down some weeds.

I remember when I first got a plot hubby small kids and I were out digging in the snow warmed by a small fire we must have been mad and still laugh abut it now.

Tracie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic