If you could only have one.........

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

......small tree in the garden - which would it be? :? :?

(We are talking about a small suburban garden. Ornamental tree - not apple, plum etc. etc. South facing.)
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

I'd have a Japanese Acer. Can't remember the specific variety unfortunately but friends had one which turned a brilliant cherry red in autumn and was absolutely spectacular.
peter
KG Regular

Bird Cherry, Prunus Padua.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

I like the fruit on my "Gorgeous" Crab Apple - see avatar - it isn't very big and the blossom is good too. It has even set fruit this year - not ripe yet.

May 2010
Gorgeous.jpg
Gorgeous.jpg (286.96 KiB) Viewed 4501 times

October 2006
crab.jpg
crab.jpg (85.51 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Monika
KG Regular

Snowy mespilus Amelanchier lamarckii or, like Geoff, crab apple. I certainly would not plant a bird cherry in a small garden - at this very minute I am looking out on our 30-year old bird cherry which is a very large tree, silhouetted against the evening sky. I love bird cherries but I would certainly not recommend them for a small garden.
peter
KG Regular

More useful, crab apple John Downie.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
farmer jon
KG Regular

have to be acer palmatum senkaki "sango-kaku" , in my opinion, the finest specimen of the japanese maples around.
Urban Fox
KG Regular

Liquid Amber - even the name sounds wonderful.

check out its autumn colour here

http://bit.ly/VQRwrU
ken
KG Regular

I would add my vote for a crab apple - attractive blossom in spring, and fruit in autumn, which can be simply small but abundant and decorative, or can be useful for making crab apple jelly, depending upon the variety. Another favourite of ours is magnolia liliiflora 'Nigra', with very dark flowers over a long period.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Diane,
The siting is all important with a small urban garden and I give two wonderful small trees to add to your list.
Cockspur Thorn (Cratagus Crus-gulli); Wonderful spring flowers with autumn colouring of the leaves and berries that will feed the birds during the winter months.
Amelanchier Canadensis; very similar to Monika's choice. Smothered with pinkish blossoms turning to white as it ages with a show of berries which the Blackbirds adore and make short shrift of long before they ripen and a really good variation of autumnal colours.
JB.
Diane
KG Regular

Fantastic - what a wonderful selection. Many thanks.
Westi
KG Regular

Diane - if I could only have one it would be.. the winning lottery ticket! Sorry doesn't answer your question but woudl make the opportunites endless :D

Westi
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

:D :D :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

One of my favourite small trees is a Cornus mas (cornelian cherry) . It has clusters of yellow flowers in January or February, and then lovely bright golden leaves, in summer it gets lots of small red berries (which they say are edible), and in Autumn the leaves turn shades of reds and gold. It isn't fussy about where you put it and is slow growing but easy to prune if necessary.

I've also got a couple of clematis growing through mine too for flowers at different times of the year. The Niobe, a maroon flowered one contrasts well with the golden leaves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic