Celeriac in Raised Beds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

melliff
KG Regular

Has anyone grown Celeriac in raised beds successfully? If so, what's the secret?

I tried growing it this way last year and all the plants failed to produce 'bulbs'. Research suggested that I hadn't watered them enough, so this year I made sure that the plants were well watered regularly - this Summer's weather helped a lot! But no bulbs again. Lots of healthy foliage but no edible bits.

I have grown it successfully in open ground in previous years so I am beginning to think it doesn't like raised beds. Could it be that the plants are too closely spaced? I have 5 plants in a 1 foot square.

Martin.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I find that roots grow to much better sizes in the soil of my heavy clay allotment, than they ever did in my garden veg patch.

The garden veg patch is not really a raised bed, but is on a slight slope, made level and supported by a low wall, and - I suspect - mostly filled with greenhouse spoil, so is very light, bordering on dusty. So the conditions are probably similar to an intentional raised bed.

As well as the water draining straight out of raised beds, it will take much of the soluble nutrients with it. Watering might correct the tendency for it to dry out, but may add to the leaching of nutrient. And if the bed was filled with light, freely draining compost in the first place, it will make matters worse. Given that getting decent sized celeriac is difficult under any circumstances, I think you have a difficult challenge. The best advice if you plan to persevere is probably to "add lots of bulky organic matter".

BTW, I should confess that I am no fan of raised beds ..
Primrose
KG Regular

I can't offer much help because I've never been able to grow large celeraic bulbs although I've grown plenty which have reached tennis ball size bulbs. I think it's probably true that they grow best when given plenty of space and light and are in a heavier type of soil. If you attempt them again next year I'd dig in as much bulky compost as you can spare and also try nipping off one or two of the bottom leaves halfway through the growing season.

I'd love to know the secret of how the commercial growers get these huge bulbs - they're probably grown in fields of fairly heavy soil.
Beryl
KG Regular

I think the biggest mistake some make is in thinking it is the root that swells when in fact it is the stem. Removing the lower leaves as it stem swells will encourage it to form a good size 'ball' above the ground.

Never let them dry out and they do well in partial shade.

Beryl.
ashb
KG Regular

i have grown some in my raised beds but still only
managed to grow to tennis ball size and they have
been well fed and watered :(
ash.
its nice to be important
but its more important to be nice
scooter 2008
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I've never grown, or seen grown, good celeriac in a light soil. A heavy mineral soil is what seems to give best results. Like swedes, celeriac seems to be a "field crop": that is, it grows better in the middle of a field, fully exposed to the elements than it does in, let's say, a more pampered environment such as our gardens or on an allotment, and especially raised beds (which I am not particularly enthusiastic about, either).
I should like to emphasise that celeriac produces bigger roots (actually a shortened stem) if the lower leaves are removed regularly. Many growers neglect to do this, and it does seem as though one might be robbing the plant of opportunity by removing even healthy-looking leaves, but it does work. I find celeriac will continue growing right into the end of October, into November if the weather's right, swelling further with autumn rains. My old gardening neighbour, who had a particularly impatient, dyspeptic attitude to most things, could not leave her celeriac in the ground beyond August and was always disappointed in the yield.
Allotment, but little achieved.
John
KG Regular

Celeriac does need a long growing period. It is pretty hardy and can be sown in trays in early March. Prick out into modules and grow on for planting in final positions say in May. As others have said it is important to keep them moist through the growing period.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

I agree with some of your points Felix but I have to disagree with you on growing on an allotment. My soil is very light and it has been with many trials and errors but with patience at perserverance it is possible to grow good sized celeriac.

This photo I took today. They are all the size of a large grapefruit.

Beryl.
Attachments
IMG_0995 - celeriac.jpg
IMG_0995 - celeriac.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Westi
KG Regular

Should be a brill year for someone growing cleriac considering the moisture levels - not mine unfortunately! Lost the first sowing to slugs or snails & the baby rabbit. Late sowing about the size of an apple so should get a bit of a crop - fingers crossed anyway.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic