Onions and Shallots-Downy Mlidew.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

I have lost my crop of Shallots and three-quarters of my Onion crop to Downy Mildew this year.Both crops were grown from sets bought in the same shop and from the same supplier in Holland.The shallots were Golden Gourmet and the onions Sturon.The mildew problem seems to be worsening every year and it has been suggested that there may be a problem with the sets carrying the disease and it might be better to grow shallots and onions from seed.
In the catalogues I have, Golden Bear F1 and Santero F1 are said to be resistant to Downy Mildew.Has anyone tried these varieties where they have had bother with Mildew and were their losses lessened?There appears to be no seeds that are resistant for shallots so any suggestions would be most welcome.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
John
KG Regular

Are your sure that the problem is downy mildew? Could it be white rot?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Just what I was going to suggest John.

Cheers, Tony.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Everything points to this being onion white rot, especially since it is getting worse every year, which is the typical pattern of this disease. It's soil-borne and persistent for many years and there's no cure, alas. Onions are one of the few crops I do not rotate, the principal being that onions can be grown on the same ground each year until white rot appears. When it does, the onions are moved to where none have been grown before, or for at least ten years, and continually grown in their new location for as long as they are safe. I've been plagued horribly with white rot in the past and this has proved the best solution. If you've the space, that is.
Allotment, but little achieved.
snooky
KG Regular

Those of us who suffered with the loss of onion/shallot crops this year,and it seems to be the majority on the site,had the same symptoms; leaves going yellowy,then white with dark splotches.The actual bulbs had no sign of damage with good root systems and this is why we reckoned that it was Downy Mildew rather than White Rot-no white fluffy bits or black spores at the base of the bulbs.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
farmer jon
KG Regular

always grow santero now & have had no problems. our site is prone to downy mildew & I used to pre-empt with dithane 945 before it was taken from us. lost the whole crop 5 years ago as I was away for a few weeks. it started on a weedy plot & spread with the wind right across the site. wish they could breed a variety resistant to white rot :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic