Peppers and chillies

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

I just freeze them as they are - no seeding, no chopping, no blanching. Works fine for us.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
ken
KG Regular

Freezing sounds like a very good tip - I'm grateful for that information. Incidentally, a few of my green chillies have ripened in the week since I picked them (say 1 in 10 at best). Does anyone know if they benefit from being close to the ripe ones, as is the case with tomatoes because of the gas which is given off? I've had my ripe chillies in one group and my green ones in another, next to each other on a windowsill.
Colin_M
KG Regular

vegpatchmum wrote:Colin do green chillis freeze as well or is it just red ones?

Green, red, yellow, they all freeze fine.
As Alan has said, they need no preparation (other than being dry, if you've picked them from outdoor plants).

At the moment, I have 5 large bushes in our conservatory. I'm using some straight away for cooking, but when i get more ripening than I need, I just pick them and add them to a growing bag in the freezer. I expect to be doing this for a few more weeks.

This will then give me a supply of Carribean Seasoning peppers and Jamaican Jerk chilles well into the Spring :)
ken
KG Regular

Me, chipping again! Just to say that, as well as putting some chillies in the freezer, I left some on a windowsill, and some of these have ripened well. Also, my daughter reports that her Lemon Drop chillies were not ripening in the greenhouse, so she brought them indoors, and they, too, have ripened on a windowsill. Quite hot, but very good and unusual flavour, she reports...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic