Strange?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Freddy I think if if you are using your Elephant garlic from your one bulb you divide it into cloves for planting.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will put you right.

Beryl.
freddy
KG Regular

Beryl wrote:Freddy I think if if you are using your Elephant garlic from your one bulb you divide it into cloves for planting.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will put you right.

Beryl.

Hiya Beryl.

Thanks for that, but as I said, I suspect that all I have is just one big clove.
The future aint all it used to be
Beryl
KG Regular

Freddy
It does look like one big bulb but I think when you came to plant and split it you will find it will divide.

Beryl.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Freddy

Some of my elephant garlic are just one huge round clove too. It's because it wasn't cold enough last winter and they've not divided. Most of mine have divided but I have around 8 that look like big tennis balls.

As for replanting, I don't know. I usually roast them whole and scoff them down as they are lovely.

I may replant one this year as an experiment and if so, will report back.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Our garlic (planted last October) is slightly smaller than in previous years but still very sizeable. Of the autumn-planted onions (Radar), we lost a few in the winter but those which survived have grown very well indeed.

I have just started harvesting this year's shallots (Prisma from seeds, Yellow Moon from sets) and they are fine. They were both started off in roottrainers and then planted out into well manured beds. I am not growing keeping onions this year because I find they grow too large for my purposes!
freddy
KG Regular

Hi folks.

Well, I dug up the three spring planted Elephant Garlic cloves, and they are just single cloves, around the size of a tennis ball. I won't bother to replant as I've been given a bulb bought from the garlic farm, which I'll plant up in a month or so.

Chantal, you say you roast them whole. Are they that mild? Any serving suggestions?

Cheers...Freddy
freddy
KG Regular

freddy wrote:Chantal, you say you roast them whole. Are they that mild? Any serving suggestions?

Cheers...Freddy

?
Colin_M
KG Regular

Hi Freddy, yes they're mild.

When roasted they go into a creamy paste which you could spread on crusty bread or Bruschetta. Also can be added to soups & stews.

Just make sure you don't over cook them, or they will turn bitter as they burn.
freddy
KG Regular

Hiya Colin, thanks for that :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic