sun loving iris

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Hi All,

I have some sun loving iris's in my garden which have not flowered for the last 2 years and it looks like there are not going to be any this year either.

Any idea's, do they need dividing?, when is the best time to divide, or do they just need some fertlizer.

Thanks

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Geoff
KG Regular

Sorry you haven't had a reply. Perhaps others, like me, are unsure what you mean by sun loving Iris.
There are so many types, if you could work it out it might be helpful. For example, in the Spring there are the little bulbous Iris like reticulata and danfordiae, later bulbous Iris include Dutch, there are ones that form clumps like siberica then there are the big bearded Iris that have rhizomes. The problem could be different for the different types, if bulbous ones aren't happy they just fade away instead of naturalising into reliable clumps (like many bulbs eg Tulips) or the ones growing from rhizomes may have been planted too deep which they don't like.
Last edited by Geoff on Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Also some like it damp, like around pond margins, I have a yellow flag Iris that thrives by our pond, those might just be in the wrong place? I also have a delicate purple iris with tiiger markings that makes huge clumps in a drier area
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic