Basil

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

I planted some basil a little while ago. Aristotle. Has anyone grown this? It seems to be taking ages to do anything past 6 leaves. Did you find it was a slow grower? I use a lot of basil so if it is going to take forever I think I might have to find another variety to grow.
Interestingly, I also planted in the other half of the pot some sweet basil I got free with a publication (not kitchen garden) and not a single one has germinated.
They are on the kitchen windowsill where all my herbs go (as long as the cats don't find them tasty).
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I think basil needs hot dry conditions, I normally 'do' quite well with basil in the greenhouse border alongside my tom's. My basil is still at the cotyledon stage so you're doing well ! Cheers, Tony.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I found a large leafed variety of basil which I am going to try this year, the thai basil is nice too..
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Myrkk
KG Regular

Perhaps that is the problem, our kitchen was very warm but has gone a little chilly with the recent dip in temperatures. It is quite dry in there though given the dehumidifier is situated in there. Thanks for that.
Primrose
KG Regular

On the topic of herbs, at Christmas I was given some Basil & Thyme Herb Christmas cards where herb seeds are incorporated into the actual material of the card. You're supposed to tear the cards up in spring and sow them in damp compost.

I decided to try them. Unfortunately none of the basil seeds germinated, and I have just one very weak and spindly thyme plant which looks as if it's about to die on me. Has anybody else tried them?

As a matter of interest I regularly save home grown tomato seeds on kitchen tissue paper and they always germinate well when planted on the dry tissue but I suspect tomato seeds are probably more resilient than others.

I suspect in your case the non germination may be due to low temperatures because essentially basil is more of a mediterranean herb & likes it warm.
Tigger
KG Regular

Basil needs 70F to germinate as well as some light. Although it's part of the mint family, it isn't as robust as it's relatives and it's an annual. You might want to add a few other varieties of basil - such as Thai (as suggested), Siam Queen, Holy Basil, white or purple - as the flavours are great.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Aristotl forms a small bushy plant with tiny leaves and is not like the fleshy, large leaved herbs we usually buy in the shops. It does like warmth, but tends to be a slow grower at first. It has a good flavour.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Myrkk wrote:I also planted in the other half of the pot some sweet basil I got free with a publication (not kitchen garden) and not a single one has germinated.

This doesn't surprise me. Free seeds are seldom any good. Usually they contain seed which is very old or of a duff batch which seedsman are only too glad to give away rather than have to dispose of them. Because the seeds are free, they are not bound to the regulations which ensure that seeds which are sold are of good viability and true to type. Which isn't to say that they are always poor, or that all magazines are engaged in this practice, but there is always a risk.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Geoff
KG Regular

If these were the Mr Fothergill's Sweet Genovese which I also received free but can't remember where from I have found them excellent. My third batch has just germinated. I fill a half pot with seed compost, water and allow to drain, sow seeds on the surface and cover with fine vermiculite then germinate in the propagator at about 70. Have got good germination with each batch, they have grown well on the kitchen window sill, the kitchen is always warm.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Nice to know it will taste nice when it gets to a decent size. It has started to put out little leaflets between the stems and the leaves that are there so it is beginning to bush out.

The free seed was with a lakeland catalogue and just says sweet basil on the package.

On the plus all bar one of my other herbs have germinated and are doing well out in the garden. Lovely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic