Jeyes fluid

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

solway cropper
KG Regular

I've been cleaning containers with Jeyes fluid today but I am a bit concerned about its toxicity. Obviously when you're brushing and splashing the stuff about it sometimes gets where it's not supposed to, including garden soil.

Do any members have experience of Citrox or the other alternative disinfectants and how effective they are.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Like you I used to use Jeyes - but also came to feel it is pretty toxic stuff with a lingering small. I have also used Citrox - but now just go for thorough cleaning - maybe with a bit of household disinfectant. I don't know how effective good plain washing is - but haven't noticed any difference.

I'll be very interested in other replies.
Chris
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Unless it is being used for what the manufacturers recomend ..it should not be used for anything apart from that..
Sadly working within health and safety guidleines thats a recomendation..
Geoff
KG Regular

I still spray the greenhouse glass with Jeyes, it kills all the green stuff in the joints and overlaps then I hose it away. Don't know if any of the other products do it so well.
Tigger2shoes
KG Regular

My friend scrubs her hen and duck houses out with it every now and then ...she hasnt had any probs with her animals .
If I could of done it my way I would of done it by now .......
John
KG Regular

I really don't think its necessary to clean pots and so on with Jeyes fluid. In the kitchen ordinary washing up liquid is good enough for plates and cutlery and we eat off them so I just use wupl for cleaning garden stuff. If you think your pots are so heavily contaminated it might be safer to dispose of them.
I do use JF on the chicken house and have never had any problems. I try do it early in the day and leave the house wide open to air and dry out during the rest of the day.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
solway cropper
KG Regular

thetangoman wrote:Unless it is being used for what the manufacturers recomend ..it should not be used for anything apart from that..
Sadly working within health and safety guidleines thats a recomendation..

It is recommended for disinfecting plant pots and greenhouses and I am using it according to the manufacturers recommendations.

My main reason for using it is for the containers that have grown potatoes and tomatoes as I have no wish for any potential disease transfer. However, as John says, a good wash with soapy water is probably as effective. My neighbour can have what's left in the can for her hen houses.
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Hope you wear gloves and other appropriate clothing then !!!
Beastly stuff if spilt on clothing and can cause skin irratation as well.
Trixie74
KG Regular

We have a fellow allotmenteer that seems to use it as weed/pest killer and sprays Jeyes fluid over his plot. Seriously wonder why no one has complained.

Glad I'm not on an adjacent plot!
peter
KG Regular

It was once recommended as a soil treatment, a number of decades ago, so could be a case of old habits die hard :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Trixie74
KG Regular

REALLY?

He is one of the "know it all's" who think they own the place, complains about everyone. But has no consideration for his neighbouring organic allotmenteers. He told me just kill everything then fertilise....I ignored the advice.

Made me laugh when he took a van down one of the paths (illegally) and got it stuck in the mud. Though wasn't impressed when he drove over one persons beautiful lavendar without a by or leave.
solway cropper
KG Regular

thetangoman wrote:Hope you wear gloves and other appropriate clothing then !!!
Beastly stuff if spilt on clothing and can cause skin irratation as well.

It's nothing compared to what I've been soaked in over the years. As a young lad I worked in forestry and regularly used the herbicides 2-4-5-T and 2-4-D. That's the stuff the Americans used as a defoliant in Vietnam.

We mixed it with diesel oil to make it stick better to the plants and the backpack sprayers leaked all over the place so we ended up drenched. Got a few nasty rashes but I'm 63 and still here!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic