What is the best compost to buy for 2012?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Compost has changed - especially the peat based ones which now often come with lumps, fibres and twigs. I spent last year trying a fairly wide range and ended up agreeing with Which Magazine that B&Q multi-purpose is the best I could find locally. I've just bought another bag for the start of the season - but would welcome any other recommendations or advice.

Chris
Chris
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Chris, i have found the lumpy bits that most composts seem to have in them now, are only a problem at the sowing stage.
For large seeds such as peas or beans, or for potting on, it seems to be fine.
So people could always sieve the compost to get the small amount needed for seed sowing, and the sieved lumps are very useful to put into the bottom of pots, when potting on plants, especially tomatoes and cucumbers, it helps to keep the pot free draining.

I use Arthur Bowers compost mixed with John Innes, at the rate of 2 parts Arthur Bowers to 1 part John Innes, using the appropriate strength of John Innes for the job.
This mixture always seems to give the compost a lot more body.

I have thought about trialing this, Swopping the Arthur Bowers compost for a peat free compost, but just never seem to find time to trial it properly.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin_M
KG Regular

I don't know how widely available it is, but round our way I have used compost from "Violet Farm" for a few years. Believe it comes from the West Country.

Unlike many of the other more well known brands, the composition doesn't seem to have changed, and it does the job. Better still, we can get it from a little hardware shop, rather than B&Q or a national gardencentre chain. Probably means it won't be too easy to find elsewhere in the country though - sorry.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Westland 'vegetable growing compost' gets my vote. Cheers, Tony.
solway cropper
KG Regular

Although I make most of my own compost I'd agree with klefti that Westland is the best if you have to buy it. I use their seed compost which has the perfect consistency and their vegetable growing stuff is also excellent.

Of course, the best is what you make yourself. I lifted a dalek yesterday and got this out.
Attachments
emptydalek2.jpg
emptydalek2.jpg (75.4 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
Monika
KG Regular

We make a lot of compost ourselves but don't use it for sowing or planting seedlings.

We buy Erin Multicompost with reduced peat or Keith Shackletons compost. Both are good. If they are not available, I buy Arthur Bowers compost with added John Innes.
glallotments
KG Regular

This is a really difficult question to answer confidently as we had variable results last year from different bags of the same brand compost. There's been lots of discussion in the media and elsewhere about the unreliability of composts with regards to consistent results.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Thanks for the advice which I have taken on board.
Chris
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I would also endorse "Violet Farm" which is available here at a local farm shop.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just been to B & Q to see what compost they have, and they are promoting one I've never heard of before - Verve - both in peat free and ordinary. It looked a bit coarse when I opened it, but seems a much better texture now it has dried out a bit. I would sieve it before using it on fine seeds and probably add a bit of sand and leafmould.

They are selling three 60 litre bags for £10 - and an extra 10% off on pensioners Wednesdays! - so it is OK for filling tubs and things, and it says the nutrients in it will last 4 weeks.

Just going for a few bags of well rotted horse manure from a tried and tested farm. The farmer piles it up in the field to rot down and then tips it over the wall onto the verge for people to help themselves. Not sure how many nutrients will be left after being rained on for a year, but the potatoes like it.
alan refail
KG Regular

I am, as usual, sowing in

For potting on I shall probably use a 50/50 mix of this and

following my experiences last year - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10450
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Called in another garden centre on the way back from getting the horse manure and bought some Durstan's multi purpose compost with John Innes same price as the B & Q. This has reduced peat and is lovely and fine textured and much nicer to handle than the B & Q stuff. So I'll have to wait the see how everything grows in them.

All the garden centres seem to be stocking different ones this year, or the names have just been changed.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Having run out of last years compost I went out today to the shop where I usually buy "Violet Farm" compost. Unfortunately they no longer do composts. Went to the Coop where they were just selling the Bulrush non-peat which performed so poorly last year. So it looks like Westmoreland this year.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

A letter in last week's Garden News Recommended "Jack's magic" compost from Westland. I bought a bag yesterday and it looks, smells and feels good - no twigs, clumps, fibres or plastics - 90% peat with added loan. The proof of the compost however is in the growing. But it is nice to have a medium which is not full of lumps of poorly composted waste.

Chris
Chris
Lurganspade
KG Regular

All a matter of taste!

I used to use Westlands, until they started bulking it out with raw wood shavings, then I discovered Wickes, 80% peat , four 75 litre bags for £12!

Only problem Wickes nearest store was 15 miles away, but now they have opened one on the main road a mile away, but the price now is 4 for £13!

Last year Beechgrove gardening programme done trials with 6 different composts, peat and peat free,6 with vegetables, 6 with flowers.

Cannot remember the full brands, but Levingtons was easily the best and New Horisons peat free was a disaster!

The peat ones were easily the best!

This seasons programmes have just started on Thursdays, I watch it on BBC iplayer,the following day, much better than GW!

They have fact sheets for every programme but I have been unable to find the one about the compost trials

Cheers!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic