Potatoes following potatoes?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

We have always used a three year rotation on our allotment and, for various reasons, I want to change the order this coming year. This would mean, though, that just for 2012, the potatoes will have to be planted on the same bed again. We did not have blight, blackleg, eelworm or any other potato diseases, so do you think I can risk growing them in the same bed again?

At the moment, the bed is thickly covered in cow manure (put on in October) and that will be dug or forked in in early spring. Hopefully, any of last year's 'volunteers' will then come up.
solway cropper
KG Regular

I've come to realize that rotation is nowhere near as critical as some people make out and certainly not worth worrying about. On a commercial scale, and for a variety of reasons, it is more important than for us small-scale growers.

As an example, a commercial grower near here had early potatoes in the same small field four years running. He then sowed a fodder crop and ran a small flock of sheep over winter. The field is now lying fallow and I'm curious to see what he'll do with it next year.

In short, if you can't get your rotation exactly as the books say, so what.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, they will be absolutely fine, problems only arise when there has been, disease or the ground hasn't been fed.

Infact, you might be pleasantly surprised by the crop you get.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Monika,
I agree with both Solway Cropper and OH. If the spuds have been grown in rotation for years and there was nothing untoward with the last crop then there will not have been a build-up of pests and diseases so I think the risk is a reasonable one to take.
JB.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I also would not worry about it, you may get a smaller yield if everything is equal, but the weather and growing conditions will vary and that will influence the yield more than growing once after a previous crop. New potatoes can be grown in the same ground with less risk due to being lifted earlier and missing the dreaded blight.

Barney
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, everybody. That puts my mind at rest!
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Rotation is greatly overated..rarely do it myself with little or zero impact.People fail to realise is that some plots are not really big enough for the wonderfull and often complex plan...so common sense and natures luck play a big part..and thats the joy of having an allotment !!
gloworm
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy

I plant new pots delayed in the fridge in the same ground after the first batch are lifted, you shot me down for that some time ago now here you are advising planting in same ground 2 years on the trot. Having said that when very young I had the use of 2 acres of free land & planted some chats which my dad gave me, I had free use of tractor & pot planter, & grew them saving the seed back for three years, not best practice I know but good pocket money for a kid

Best regards

Gloworm
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gloworm,
As a rule I would advise against planting potatoes after potatoes but there are times, as in this instance, that if the person has really no option then if they have normally been sown in rotation then one year when there was nothing untoward with the previous crop you may get away without any trouble.
I would not give the same advice to a newcomer to gardening.
I have known Monika for a very long time and she doesn't seek advice lightly and like me has been a gardener for a very long time.
Monika would know what to do at the first sign of any trouble but a newcomer would be totally oblivious and carry on regardless.
I stand by my advice to you because that is best practice.
I apologies for the somewhat delayed reply but I have been a little below par this last few months and I am struggling to read all the back postings and make any replies.
Sincerely,
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic