Asparagus

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

If I were to take advantage of the Asparagus offer in this months KG, am I right in thinking that the optimum allowable space would be 15' x 3' for a single row of 10 crowns? What size for a double row? Am trying to work out where best to put the plot in my garden.
nog
KG Regular

Isnt it 12" between crowns and 18" between rows.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin and Nog,
I have always grown Asparagus on 24" x 24" spacings and it has worked out very well over the years yet commercially they say 30cm x 120cm so in Imperial measuement it is 12" x 48". I rather think that these dimensions are more to do with ease of picking than growing.
I rather think that you are right Colin because that is 18" between plants and the 36" gives 18" clear space at either side. This really would be suitable.
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy and Nog. In actual fact, thinking about it the best possible area that I have is about 10' x 6' which would accommodate a double row. But I wonder how difficult a double row is to maintain in the centre for cutting and weeding?

Another query relates to the roots. I understand that they spread a lot, or do they just go very deep? If spreading do they 'interfere' with any other plants and should they thus be 'isolated'?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I have only ever grown Asparagus in a bed especially for that purpose and I feel that most people do likewise.
JB.
jane E
KG Regular

I think everyone growing asparagus plants up a permanent bed and gets it perennial weed free first. Am I right in thinking that ground that has grown asparagus won't grow root crops afterwards? I think I read it somewhere.
nog
KG Regular

The roots are very fine and shallow. If you dont get it weed free when you pull the weeds this pulls up the asparagus. I rotovated my bed pulled out the rubbish then plied on 500kg of compost to make a raised bed and then planted into that. Any weeds I missed I snip off with secuters when they show their heads.
nog
KG Regular

The roots are very fine and shallow. If you dont get it weed free when you pull the weeds this pulls up the asparagus. I rotovated my bed pulled out the rubbish then plied on 500kg of compost to make a raised bed and then planted into that. Any weeds I missed I snip off with secuters when they show their heads.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

My asparagus bed is about 16ft long by 4ft wide and the plants will be spaced about 18 inches each way thus fitting just about 25 crowns in. The 4ft width is ideal as I can reach anywhere on the bed without treading on it. Like nog I added a ton of 15 year old vintage manure (texture of compost)to improve the soil texture and raise it up a touch.

All perenial weeds really need clearing first because of the shallow asparagus roots and any annuals can be easily pulled up when young. I also top dress my bed with a couple of hand fulls of salt (asparagus is a coastal plant) as do commercial growers and this can also suppress weeds over time.

You can plant at closer spacings but you may get more sprue (thin spears) that way. 2ft plantings are really a waste of ground unless you have plenty to spare, those spacings are to allow mechanised implements in to feed etc.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic