Grafted aubergine 2nd year

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

toffeeman
KG Regular

Hi all. I had a couple of grafted aubergines which were very impressive last year. They were grown in the greenhouse border and one survived the winter and sprouted a lot of green growth with very small flowers. They were sold as Scorpion. Im guessing what Im seeing is the rootstock. I thought Id give it a chance however there is no sign of fruit and Im about to dig it up. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Is it likely to produce anything? Thanks
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Trouble with grafted plants there's no telling what the root stock was, the only way you could be sure of getting the same variety is to get cuttings from above the graft(just like you would with Roses), trouble is, just like the Rose, you probably won't get the same vigour as you got last year from the grafted parent.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

If you have the room I would preserve with it as an experiment. You could get lucky & the new growth was from the grafted aubergine not the host plant. Worth a shot & if you do get fruit then you know you can get a least 2 seasons from a grafted plant which will be a big saving as the grafted ones are quite expensive.

If you decide to experiment let us know the outcome toffeeman.
Westi
toffeeman
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies. I have the space so its worth seeing what happens. Will let you know
Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve never tried grafting aubergines or peppers. Taking cuttings from a plant isn't ,exactly the same thing biologically is it?

Some weeks ago I snipped the top 8"off a pepper plant that was growing too tall and spindly and repotted this top. It's now developed roots and is producing a much more vigorous plant than its parent with its first flowers. Time will tell!

I think with all these second year attempts you probably need to trim the roots slightly and provide the plants with fresh compost and nutrients. Results may be as much about plant nutrition as it is about the plant's origins.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic