Lawn care

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I know this is not a kitchen garden question, but here it goes: one of our sons is groundsman on a big estate and has been asked to get rid of the moss on a 2 acre lawn. He doesn't want to use selective moss killer, if possible, but is thinking of using lawn sand. His mechanised roller has deep spikes, so would provide good holes. Any tips, please?
Kayburton
KG Regular

Moss grows where it is humid. Sand, on the contrary, retains moisture and it is not a fact that it will help in the fight against moss. I would consider draining the area where the moss grows, otherwise it will reappear over and over again.
nemo
KG Regular

Sulphate of iron works good turns moss black but it turns grass nice and green without making it grow too much
Primrose
KG Regular

Sounds like whatever he does, maybe a trial area on a small patch first might be a good way of avoiding a bigger mistake that will need to be rectified again later?
Lukepinfield
KG Regular

The Geoffrey Smith video regarding the lawn is on YouTube. I’d watch that (lawn maintenance is towards the end of the video) but if moss is an issue it’ll be down to poor drainage. I have a clay soil in our garden and spread a mix of 2 parts sand to 1 part soil after scarifying and aerating. No moss over the winter formed so it must have aided. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic