Use of well composted horse manure in the veggie plot

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mikepearce45
KG Regular

Use of well composted horse manure in the veggie plot

Postby mikepearce45 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:17 pm

I have, over many years, been an enthusiastic user of well rotted horse manure on the veggie plot with reasonable results.

I have read recently that there are some "experts" that now say that although the manure is a good/excellent soil conditioner, it should only be used sparingly on the veg plot as it does not contain as many nutrients and trace elements needed for healthy and copious vegetable production. This goes against my understanding of , what I thought, was good gardening practice. Any thoughts please.
0 x
Geoff
KG Regular

Re: Use of well composted horse manure in the veggie plot

Postby Geoff » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:46 pm

It is not strictly true but I always assume organic composts have little or no direct nutrient value. What they do is improve the texture of the soil and what you might call the biodiversity. These things help make nutrients available to the plants and promote good root structures to improve nutrient take up. So carry on using as much organic matter as you can find (not sparingly) but don't rely on it completely, add fertilizer as well.
3 x
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Re: Use of well composted horse manure in the veggie plot

Postby mikepearce45 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:58 pm

That sounds very logical and and confirms what I have found out since posting my original query. Just goes to show that no matter how long one has been gardening, you never stop learning. Thanks Geoff.
0 x

Return to “Best practices”