Kiwano (horned melon)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

giaur500
KG Regular

Re: Kiwano (horned melon)

Postby giaur500 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 am

I'll tell you what - from curiosity, I checked weather conditions in UK (London) and NL (Amsterdam) past few weeks and I must say it's even warmer than I am getting in my location. I am sure you could get even better results than I got. But it looks like you still afraid it's too cold to grow it outdoor, I think you should not, unless you want pathetic, barely alive plant inside a greenhouse :)
0 x
Elmigo
KG Regular

Re: Kiwano (horned melon)

Postby Elmigo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Pretty sure the start is always hard, as we have to start early to be having fruits by the end of the year. It has not as much to do with having the right temperature as it has with not having long lasting summers. Mine looked very pathetic in the beginning as well, but now they're thriving and taking over the entire greenhouse a little bit too much! I've got no space to let it creep around on the floor either. The first time growing it in a container on my balcony was a disaster compared to this year. Yet I still had very tasty fruits regardless :mrgreen: just a bit smaller. That plant is going to be fine!
1 x

Return to “Best practices”