Kiwano (horned melon)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Re: Kiwano (horned melon)

Postby Elmigo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:25 pm

After all it grows in desert like areas with a low temp night but a high temp day. It makes sense. Next year I'll be testing them on solid land too!
1 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 am

Well we're certainly expanding our knowledge on this forum ! I imagine the thick skins help preserve the moisture inside the fruits. As you say, when they can be produced so prolifically in good conditions one wonders why they are so expensive to buy but of course transport and air freight costs to other countries will absorb a large percentage of the cost.
1 x
giaur500
KG Regular

Postby giaur500 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am

Elmigo wrote:Next year I'll be testing them on solid land too!

To get the best result, make sure used place is sunny (more direct sun = better) and sheltered from wind. Plant your seeds indoor (use small flower pots) at the end of winter, then remove from pots and plant to ground as soon as risk of frost ends (be careful, don't break the roots). Before you move outdoor, let them to get use to direct sunlight and uv radiation, first expose to direct sunlight one hour daily, then keep increasing exposure time each day. After moving outdoor, water plants and keep soil wet all the time. When watering, avoid cold water on leaves , the best is only watering roots in place. You can also use sprinkler. It's recommend to perform watering at the evening, hot sun + water is not recommended.
1 x
giaur500
KG Regular

Postby giaur500 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Some tips about storing kiwano: https://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/234-2128.pdf interesting reading. In summary, avoid temperature below 15 °C, otherwise it will decay in 2 months
1 x

Return to “Best practices”