Growing giant marrows, advice wanted

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mouse2
KG Regular

I want to have a serious contender for the heaviest marrow class in our village show this year, having failed dismally in the past.
(Ok, I could hollow one out and fill it with concrete, but I am too honest for that, :lol: )

This year, I did the first basic essential by buying some seed for a variety that actually has the potential to grow to a good size, supposedly, (Fatboy F1) and the claims seem valid, as in less than three weeks since baby fruits appeared, I already have marrows bigger than anything I have managed before.
I am only growing two pants, and am limiting each plant to just one marrow

The thing is, the show isn't until 9th September, and I am wondering if I have started too early. Are these fruits likely to stop growing and start rotting in that time? How long before a show do the serious growers allow from baby fruit to show?

I would be really grateful for any expert advice :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Snap, be most interested to hear what others have to suggest.

Everywhere I went this year the only plants I could get were Long Green Bush, the variety KG / DT Brown gave away last year which I had dismal success with

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Mouse2
KG Regular

Pa Snip, I sourced my marrow seeds online this year. They weren't expensive - I think I only paid three pounds something including postage. Like you, I had no success with Long Green Bush - my standard 'courgettes' grew bigger!
robo
KG Regular

I would and did last year , I put straw under each marrow to keep them off the soil I also scattered slug pellets in the straw ,plenty of manure and liquid feed as well ,I limited each plant to one marrow but made sure the chosen one was growing well before removing others , saying this is no reason to think I'm an expert it's just what seemed right at the time , this year in growing pumpkins at least they are ok for soup
Mouse2
KG Regular

I hadn't thought of slug pellets, Robo - that might be a good idea, especially when the dry weather ends!

Due to lack of space, I am trying to grow a pumpkin plant up into a tree this year. :D
If I actually succeed in producing any, the grandchildren will probably claim them for Halloween.
Mouse2
KG Regular

I think I have found the answer to my own question - or part of it, at least - here:
http://www.giantveg.co.uk/index.php/en/ ... from-seeds

That giant-grower pollinated his marrows 45 days before the show, letting the plants get very large first.
I also found another site where the grower didn't allow pollination until mid-July. Based on those timings, I definitely started mine off too soon.

Now, a dilemma - to remove the existing large marrow on one of my two plants and let another flower pollinate (hedging my bets by letting the one on the other plant grow on), but risking that the plant has already put too much of its energy into that first marrow, or to leave things as they are for this year.

Difficult! As I have the 'spare', I will probably opt for the first option. Next year, I will hopefully remember to do things differently!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's interesting Mouse, I wouldn't have thought you could get a giant one in so short a time. I think I would hedge my bets as you suggest and nurture the big one and have the other as back up.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Mouse,
there is a book called growing giant veg by Bernard Salt; I think it is out of print so It may be hard to find. Whilst searching for a supplier I found that there are loads of youtube vids on the subject.
Regards Sally Wright.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Thanks, Sally. I will keep an eye out for that book when browsing second hand book stalks/shops.
Shwan78
KG Regular

Mouse2 wrote:I think I have found the answer to my own question - or part of it, at least - here:
http://www.giantveg.co.uk/index.php/en/ ... from-seeds

That giant-grower pollinated his marrows 45 days before the show, letting the plants get very large first.
I also found another site where the grower didn't allow pollination until mid-July. Based on those timings, I definitely started mine off too soon.

Now, a dilemma - to remove the existing large marrow on one of my two plants and let another flower pollinate (hedging my bets by letting the one on the other plant grow on), but risking that the plant has already put too much of its energy into that first marrow, or to leave things as they are for this year.
transfers CDG
Difficult! As I have the 'spare', I will probably opt for the first option. Next year, I will hopefully remember to do things differently!

Thank you for link
Mouse2
KG Regular

I will be harvesting and weighing at the end of the week, ready for the show on Sunday. I have two contenders, both way bigger than anything I have managed to grow before, so I am quite excited!
(Though they would still look puny next to the giants you see at big shows, so i still have some way to go in the future :D )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic