Domino Planting

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

richard p
KG Regular

i dont want to nit pick but if you stagger every other row u get one less plant at the end of every 2nd row so planting density must be marginally less, this end effect obviously has a greater effect in small beds where there are more ends per unit area.unless you put the rows closer together because the plants are staggered ,in which case the planting density will be greater

incidentally ive allways said the most useful lecture in the agricultural engineering degree i took was when the maths lecturor taught us how to cook a full breakfast in the least possible time, all to do with process planning, identifing which bits depended on others being completed, which could run simultaniously etc..ie boil the kettle to make the tea when u put the toast on, dont wait to boil it after uve eaten the toast, well get on to sucking eggs soon
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Can somebody please point me to a "quantum Physics and advanced mathematics for amateur gardeners" course. :D

I follow the KISS school of thought as its idiot proof:-

Keep It Simple Stupid

The square root, cosine or tangent of your pea rows makes not one jot of difference, they grow, they give you peas and you eat them.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
peter
KG Regular

Piglet is the phrase you were looking for "Peas off"?

I do think JohnBoys points on best use of space are still valid though.

Its a bit like the trays they pack eggs on, where the tops of the eggs on the bottom fit in the gaps of the next tray up.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
pigletwillie
KG Regular

You're right, and it's the most easy to understand post as well.

The plain English award to JB :lol: :lol:
Last edited by pigletwillie on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards Piglet

As you say Johnboy I did not realise the subject was so involved to some people (maths etc) your diagram explained it well. I think to make it simple it just means do equal spacing between the plants in the rows, however wide you do the rows, which was what I was doing anyway but I did not name it any method as I am not into board games.
Thanks for all your help
Regards Brenjon
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm planting my whole plot diagonally North to South to maximise the sun, a few people are sucking their teeth in saying "what's she up to, she knows nowt" but hey, I'm giving it a go. We have an avenue of trees along the East side which doesn't help either, sorry, I digress. So I could plant in domino rows East to West and hoe North to South, right? :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Anonymous

Chantal, you and I are mathematical soulmates. I was bored by the lessons. The 'if it takes one man to something how long will it take 50 men to do it?' The answer neither know nor care always sprang to mind!

I can remember one geometry lesson when the teacher had got an enormous diagram which pretty well filled the blackboard with circles, triangles, squares, etc. She was going full throttle on this being common to that, and that is common to this, etc, etc. I couldn't resist temptation, and in my best Kenneth Williams impression, I said 'Oh aren't we common dearie' and do you know she chucked me out of the class.

Sorry to have gon off at a bit of a tangent!

valmarg
Chantal
KG Regular

Don't start on tangents, I never understood them either! :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

silly, they`re just small oranges that are easy to peel. :D
Last edited by pigletwillie on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards Piglet

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I stil sow my peas in the shuffled dominoe way, take out a drill six'' wide two in''deep, then just sprinkle the peas along the drill. By the time there ready for picking they have forgot they were not spaced at even distances. I still get a fair crop of peas.

Kind regards an uncomplicated Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Of course you are quite correct Old Herbaceous we plant our beans in the garden using the domino spacing, we also plant large quantities with an old Ferguson potato ridger by drawing the furrows then scattering the beans thickly in them. We then ridge them up to help support them. You are hard pushed to tell the difference between the carefully spaced garden beans and the scattered ones and they both taste similar. Years ago most growers in our part of Somerset used a potato planter to sow the beans by dropping them down the shoots in single rows, but we find sowing them thickly in the furrows is best so they help support eachother.

Barney
Tigger
KG Regular

Can I go home now................?
Anonymous

You may if you can Tigger.

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was the answer one teacher always gave when you put your hand up to ask to go to the loo.

valmarg
David
KG Regular

I've just planted a load of broad beans by Johnboys method, that I grew in toilet rolls . Very smart they look too.

Everyone elses boring rows look very ordinary by comparison and I'm sure I'll get some questions tomorrow.

Thankyou Sir for another interesting and practical tip.

David
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic