Mini cucumbers.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I was a bit late planting my cucumbers, and purchased 2 that were more forward than mine for some early cue's, I didn't realise they were mini cucumbers, but have been pleasantly surprised we have had six or seven already they are thin skinned, tender juicy and sweet, but there was no label for variety. My cucumbers are not very far behind, but I may plant more of these babies for early next year any ideas what variety is best of the mini varieties?
The toms are turning red at last, and peppers and melon fruits have grown too. about the size of a tangerine now.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Nature's Babe, i think i would go for the ones with, no label for variety, again.

I'm sure someone will be of more help..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

You are like a tonic OH, and always raise a smile. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
tracie
KG Regular

Hi,

My favorite is Zeina from Thomson and Morgan.

The seeds are expensive, but I try to get them when they have their sale so they are cheaper. :mrgreen:
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you Tracie. :)
By Thomas Huxley
MikA
KG Regular

Hi Natures Babe

I can recommend Cucumber Cucino as a real mini variety.

We have 2 plants in the greenhouse and have been picking fruit for weeks. They now seem to be in full production and i picked nearly a Kilogram this week mostly small 2-3 inch snack size but missed one which was about 4 inch long.
They are all very crunchy and sweet.

The only drawback is they grow in clusters from each node and are often difficult to pick without damaging others. As my grandson says - spikey but this rubs off easily.

These are also F1 and expensive but I think worth it. 6 seeds in packet is enough for 2 years for me.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

MikA, Thank you, they do sound productive.
Same sort of shape but larger I like cucumber Paska, again expensive but thin skinned juicy and I could eat them like apples. :D
I am considering making a hotbed on one side of the greenhouse as sarah does and after a very early crop planting melons and cucumber into the bed.
By Thomas Huxley
JohnN
KG Regular

NB. We've grown Fothergills Marketmore 76 for the past two years and they've provided a continuous stream of small cucs from grow bag and pot since mid-june, and still going strong.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yes, thank you JohnN, I have grown marketmore very successfully too, I agree, I do like those, but in my experience they are a med to large cucumber, it was the the mini variety I was after, they were straight, very rounded ends and three or four inches long. One scorching day last summer my daughter in law ate a marketmore cucumber I had just given her to take home, she took a bite and couldn't stop! Luckily there were plenty and they were given another to take home.
By Thomas Huxley
MikA
KG Regular

NB

I also have a cucumber called Iznik which I bought when my seedlings didn't look too good. But I had to put it against a fence in a pot.

This is also a small fruit. I picked the first one yesterday and it tasted like a small conventional cucumber, by which I mean it was pretty watery and soft unlike the crunchiness of Cucino so not as good for me as an eat off the vine snack.

MikA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic